Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disgusting socket unjointed fix

Default Disgusting socket u joint fix

I do a lot of repair work involving radiator hose clamps. It is always a problem reaching them and loosening and tightening . When you use a universal joint and a socket it is too bulky and it Falls apart and comes off. Also none of these supposed u joints are true cross u joints. So I found a solution. I found a true cross universal joint on a radio controlled truck axle. I machine it and Tig welder it to a long Phillips screwdriver and a short socket that fits the hose clamps. It works great .it does not fold up and is very compact. I will admit it is not as strong as store bought ones but not everyone is a clumsy ham fisted mechanic. It seems that most mechanisms are getting smaller and smaller and more compact but the tools are getting klutzier and larger so that they can say lifetime guarantee.Edwin Dirnbeck d d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Edwin Dirnbeck; 07-17-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Tried to edit the title 3 times . unjointed to u joint. Edit doesn't work for me. Even tried advanced.Edwin Dirnbeck

Nice

Did you have to weld on the 5/16" hex as well or do they come that way?
    I'm thinking a 1/4" hex is also popular for the smaller screw type hose clamps. Either way easy to adapt as would be a shorter or long driver shank.

Thanks!
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Nice work and great solution. I love that.

Best Regards,
    Bob

Looks handy Ed, nice solution. I don't run into that problem enough to warrant making one, but I have struggled with the extensions and ujoint contraption before. The most annoying part is when you finally get it on the hose clamp, and get it loose enough that it rotates out of position and the socket falls off again.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Nice

Did you have to weld on the 5/16" hex as well or do they come that way?
    I'm thinking a 1/4" hex is also popular for the smaller screw type hose clamps. Either way easy to adapt as would be a shorter or long driver shank.

Thanks!
    Yes ,It is a chopped of 5/16 high quality socket. I turned a short mating diameter on all pieces.I made them a slight press fit to hold them together . I carefully took them to a top quality tig welder.He did a good job ,I think.I originally made this for a very specific repeat job,but I find that it fits in many locations. Edwin Dirnbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    Looks handy Ed, nice solution. I don't run into that problem enough to warrant making one, but I have struggled with the extensions and ujoint contraption before. The most annoying part is when you finally get it on the hose clamp, and get it loose enough that it rotates out of position and the socket falls off again.
    Never to be found again,Edwin

Nice solution but you can buy dedicated universal sockets that are much more compact than a stand alone with a socket on it. I own a few of certain sizes from my auto mechanic days.

Quote Originally Posted by oxford View Post
    Nice solution but you can buy dedicated universal sockets that are much more compact than a stand alone with a socket on it. I own a few of certain sizes from my auto mechanic days.

Yeah baby, those are the ticket. My hangarmate had a set of 1/4" drive like shown. I was always into his toolbox borrowing them. I checked on the price of a new set ( 5 or 6 sockets). Over $200. Whew! I got lucky when he quit flying and sold them to me for 50 bucks.
    Bill Pendergrass
    Rotec RM-1 w/Rusnok head
    Atlas TH42 QC10

Did you try a simple 1/4 drive with a flex cable and screwdrive handle , i.e. flexible 1/4 drive ?