Thread: print your own T-shirts

Default print your own T-shirts

Looking to print my own T-shirts. So far all I can find is 'send us your design and we'll print them for you'. What I want is the machine itself. I have read that you can ink jet them, or you can print the design to an iron-on transfer. It has also been suggested that with the right printer, you can deposit a 'heavier duty' ink, which has better lasting qualities.

I'm in the beginning stages of this search, so I thought I'd ask here if anyone has had any experience with this. I don't have room for multiple stages of silk screen setups, so I'd like to stay with a direct printer of some kind. Presumably it would have a platen where you fasten the T-shirt down- maybe even with a vacuum hold-down- then you would deposit a suitable ink or colored solution, maybe require multiple passes for different colors- just a few guesses here.

So far I have not found any links to the proper type of machine, though I'm pretty sure they must exist by now. Can anybody steer me?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Type "silk screen equipment" into your search engine.

I don't understand the no room for it but want to do it.
    I had a 4 station 6 color machine, no screens, that I would have sold this January and Feb, was down to 200 at the end.
    I took it apart for hardware, still have the plates and adjusters i think. It was /is 3 .5 hrs from you..
    It was a Blue Max 3.
    Last edited by 754; 07-19-2019 at 09:33 PM.

What you need is either a "dye sublimation" printer, or a "direct to garment" (DTG) printer, either one of which is going to cost you several thousand at least.

Relevant link.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

If you're just making a couple, I've had good luck with these.

https://www.amazon.com/Avery-Inkjet-...SIN=B0000C0CIR

Second what Doc Nickel said, I've been looking for imagesetters to create negatives for exposing photo resists
    and came across these printers by Okidata, I think they're what your looking for, nowhere near as pricey as Doc's link
    but still pricey, smaller output size -
    https://www.oki.com/us/printing/prod...ers/index.html

Lightbulb

Sometime ago I bought a pack of Avery transfer sheets for my inkjet printer, but never used them. I found professional T-shirt printers for about $16,000 - $60,000, but Amazon has some for well under $1000:

https://www.amazon.com/digital-tshir...tshirt+printer

Last edited by PStechPaul; 07-20-2019 at 12:37 AM. Reason: link

My daughter uses a Silhouette machine to cut designs from iron on vinyl which she fuses to t-shirts using a heated press. Don't know the make of the press. Can get vinyl that is suitable for decals such as car dealers use to put on vehicles.

Id just as soon go with silkscreening before i went for a machine. For simple patterns youd be more than set, multiple colors id wager you could do with multiple screens, one color at a time.

That said, if youre trying to print a photo, silkscreening probably isnt the way to go

The T-shirt I'm wearing right now has rather blocky graphics on it, but the coloring is impregnated right into the cloth. The lines are sharp, and there is some pretty tiny printing on it that you can actually read. I'm sure the machine that did this is capable of decent imaging. You can feel the difference between the colored areas and the rest of the shirt, but there is no melted on vinyl. The cloth moves equally well over all its areas, colored or plain. This is what I'm going for since I also want the shirts to be comfortable.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-