Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Game: What will it be

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    That is obvioulsy the diameter of a standard beer can.
    I WISH my beer cans were that size...!

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    Swivel base , really ? Do you use them ? I never met one I liked much..
    Most of them are frustrating. Good ones lock with teeth, rather than shear clamping force. My 300 lbs 8" wide Reed has a substantial locking swivel.

Can't say I have used them much by choice - especially if I can have the vise on the corner of the table. But when you need it, you need it.

very neat bit of work, well done. Sturdiest vise swivel base I've seen, that's for sure. I'd suggest orienting it so that the longest edge is parallel to the edge of the bench you're mounting it to. That way you can easily fit long stuff upright in the jaws. Took me a while to figure that out over the years!

Ditto 754 on a boring bar, SCLCR ones are super cheap and will make this kind of thing a lot easier, especially when you work on small holes.

Great idea Glug, hope I can retain that one.

Hmm. You want the mating surfaces of the swivel to not slip, but then how do you lubricate them? I suppose the swivel could lock with dowels. When does anyone ever need a bunch of angles?

The Wilton vises also have a toothed system for locking the swivel. It is an interesting mechanism. The teeth are cast into the bottom of the vise. When loosened, the teeth disengage by gravity (if not held by rust). I found various pictures of the components but no clear drawings. IIRC, even the mating components are cast.

It is an interesting design and machining challenge, and I wonder how it could be improved or simplified. You could do the teeth with the shaper, though incrementing to each would take some time (and on the wilton they are recesesed).

I did consider just tapping holes at 30, 60 & 90*, but I think the locking plate will be ok on this small vise.

On a bigger vise it would be a bigger concern.

finished

Looks real nice! The swivel on my HF vise was problematic due to the bolt heads spinning, so I fixed it like this:

The large bottom disc has plenty of surface area to make for a solid clamping action.

A 36" diameter X 3/4" thick 6061 aluminum disc water jet cut from plate, not terribly flat as you can imagine.

Drill and tap the OD for a lifting eye using a very old radial drill press, this machine is unpleasant in every possible way as it is very loud and clapped out. But the part must go on.
    As an added bonus the arm can be raised until the top of the spindle contacts the ceiling, this does not hurt the spindle by the way (-:

Quote Originally Posted by uute View Post
    finished

Wow --- beauty "of" the beast meets lipstick on a pig... they both actually look good together now, well done with melding those two kids together... I now pronounce you swivel and marginally butchered up vise...

you may now "clamp the base" (oh my)
    Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 08-30-2019 at 09:54 PM.