Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me Lathe

Default New to me Lathe

I picked up this Clausing 5914 lathe and and goodies up in Vermont Friday. It is to replace my Logan 11x24. There have been times when I needed more than the 24" on my two present lathes.

It came with an assortment of chucks and two collet closers, a 5C and a Jacobs 50. I have some 5c collets, but no Jacobs. I seems to be in OK condition, but needs cleanup and lube, etc. Been used, but doesn't seem abused. Paid $700. Not as good a deal as RB211's, but still OK.

CPeter

that's a steal, and so well accessorized. Way to go.

Still, a screaming deal and easier to move.. is it VariDrive?
    Heavier machines, changes the buyer pool.. and shorter lathes.. less buyers.. altho many don't need the length..

Damn ,thats cheap

ya kidding me, that's a fabulous deal, well done! Fancy sticking your Logan in a flat rate box and sending it down to Texas? It'll appreciate the warmth

how's the Reeves drive sound? Might need a bleed if it's been sitting a while.

Nice, keep an eye on the vari-drive hydraulics and bushings in the sheeves. They are known for issues and wear. I ended up doing a direct drive conversion and vfd on mine.

Looks like you did good on the tooling/accessories, L00 does pop up but but always seem to be a bit more expensive than threaded and D mounts. The 5c spindle adapter is also a plus as they can be a little hard to find.

Keep an eye on the cross slide nut and screw they seem to get wear on them. Probably still available from Clausing but will be pricey. I ended up making a delrin nut and grafted on a piece of precision acme rod to the original screw. I also did the same with the compound but used a 2 start bronze nut and rod to get the dial to read 1 to 1.

$700 was a good deal on that lathe, even if it needs some work.

There are lots of gunsmiths who think that the South Bend "Heavy 10" or "10L" is the ultimate gunsmithing lathe, but I think the Clausing you have there, or the 5913, are better lathes for the purpose, more heavily built and better machines. The only downside I've seen on the 591x machines are the hydraulic variable-speed systems.

You did good. My 10EE wouldn't fullfil your requirement.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

he got $700 dollars worth of chucks and a free lathe !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    he got $700 dollars worth of chucks and a free lathe !!
    No kidding, the collet closer, 6 jaw, qctp, etc.