Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: OK, Convince me that A wedge Aloris type toolpost will work for me

You probably cannot easily change the height of the cross slide. But if the compound is especially tall or thick, then you might substitute another compound, if the right component becomes available. I suppose if there was excess material, maybe you could re-machine a compound lower.

Proper lathe catalogs give measurements of clearance at the compound, cross slide and ways. That doesn't really give us the full info on the compound, because if it can retract a long way, then it increases the catalog clearance. But the difference in cross slide clearance vs. compound to center distance should.

You already know that up to 1/2" deep tools are not an issue. And to be fair that is going to cover 80% or more of your situations. After that it's things like parting tools and boring bar holders for most of the other 20%.

Is it really the end of the world if you can't mount a 3/4" brazed carbide tool?

Or if you have a tool that takes big durable inserts did you consider my ideas from the earlier post above to make a dovetailed holder that directly mounts an insert without the need for the usual square shank? Or to use such a tool shank and braze or weld said shank into a downward facing corner notch? This would really only work for tools that use inserts. But it would be a solution for using larger inserts that require bigger holders. You'd eliminate the lower "shelf" altogether and would be able to easily fit the equivalent of a 3/4" shank tool. And by not needing to keep that web of metal between the dovetail and the tooling slot the overhang from the tip to the support from the base of the post would be reduced quite a lot.

I agree with your concerns about loss of rigidity with the QCT type toolpost making the tool itself overhang the end of the topslide. 10 years or more ago, I put one on a chinese 7 x 12" lathe, which has a topslide/crosslide about as rigid as a cucumber sandwich. Predictably, it was a disaster, and I rapidly reverted to a 4 way toolpost.

I've long been of the opinion that the cutting forces from the tool should be directed vertically downwards through the machine via solid metal for the best results.
    When I got my current lathe which is a traditional English built 11" swing, I was persuaded to give a QCT another try. The topslide/cross slide set up is really rigid, especially since a previous owner had fitted a 12" long cross slide with tee slots in place of the original 6" long slide. I gave it a try and I have to admit that it does work. I try and make a point of not letting the end of the topslide project beyond the end of the topslide base casting.
    In your case, as you like having the topslide swung round by 28 degrees, the overhang would I think be excessive, and in the same circumstances I'd be using a 4 way toolpost as well. If you can live with having to pack the tools to height individually, theres nothing wrong with a 4 way toolpost.

90% of my work is done with only 3 tools, a replaceable tip parting tool, 1/8" wide, and a pair of 1970s UK made round nose brazed carbide tip tools, one cranked right hand and one cranked left hand. Kept sharp on a green grit grinding wheel, these guys deal with cast iron, steel, brass, bronze, aluminium, anything I put in front of them in fact. If I had to go back to a 4 way, I'd have the parting tool permanently mounted (or in a rear turret at the back of the cross slide), and one of the 2 cranked tools permanently mounted. They are identical apart from the direction of the crank, so would both use the same packing.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    Is it really the end of the world if you can't mount a 3/4" brazed carbide tool?

What on earth would have suggested to you that such a thing was a concern of mine?

But I DO have insert cutoff tooling of that size shank..... the shank is that DEEP, for rigidity, but not that WIDE. And it is not BIG tooling. But, no, I do not want to make an insert holder for that, I do not know the design criteria for it. I am more concerned about finding the right sort of insert removal/replacement tool, since I have more inserts.

Regular triangular inserts I could make a holder for, but I can say I have no particular desire to do that as a pre-condition of using a QCTP.... The idea of buying one would be to save trouble, not borrow more of it.... Call me crazy, but I want that to be plug and play with what I have, or it's no go. What I am seeing is: it's no go.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

J Tiers, in the 15 or so years of your interaction on this forum, I've never seen anyone "convince" you of ANYTHING, unless maybe you were already leaning toward that position.

Now I'm guessing you just wanted to engage in a discussion of all the pros and cons relating to the issue, which is fine of course. But obviously no one is in a better position than you to evaluate what's going to work best for your situation. And you had already done that.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnl View Post
    J Tiers, in the 15 or so years of your interaction on this forum, I've never seen anyone "convince" you of ANYTHING, unless maybe you were already leaning toward that position.

Now I'm guessing you just wanted to engage in a discussion of all the pros and cons relating to the issue, which is fine of course. But obviously no one is in a better position than you to evaluate what's going to work best for your situation. And you had already done that.

I wanna see him make a qctp!
    Andy

The QCTP has been a recurring project idea for me over at least 12 years. It just has never been quite high enough on the list to get me to either buy or make one. I even have a design for one somewhere around here, and ideas for another.

Nothing is fixing that short 0.912 clearance, though. It seems to be hard to fix that by adding material in that space.

Well, I kinda wanted to hear about folks in the same situation with low clearance, and what could be done. All I had seen elsewhere was folks who were less than bowled over by what they could and could not, do, or what they had to do.

So you could say I have been "leaning in that direction", but needing a bit of "it turned out to be no problem, I did xxx and it worked" type return.

I'm not really seeing that. And a couple folks elsewhere have been pretty down on the "hang over the side" idea, saying they got poor results on the same type Logan. That's fine, better that than getting the same result.

From their experience and my own using a milling attachment that hung over like that, plus the lack of a "breakthrough idea" here, I'm sorta back to square one on this. Maybe the Logan compound is just not well suited to the idea.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I got the Logan 9B, and I got the AXA-100 series Aloris clone. It is fine so far, and I can run the 1/2" brazed carbide bits.
    I think the biggest advantage is to get all your different tooling setup on center height, then going forward you can swap out toolholders and the bits are already spot on.
    I cant speak of your model 200 but my 9" is OK with AXA.
    I went on and got the morse taper holder, and 5C holder too.

Nobody will win here.
    Jerry starts a thread, he certainly aint gonna admit defeat.
    He admits to thinking about a QCTP for 12 years.
    Well, if you use a lathe in hobby time for say 5-10 hours a week minimum, a QCTP would have been purchased or made 11 years ago.

Ahhhaa Lynnl. Are you and Jerry having a moment? Its a sweet thing to see. The Wilderbeast talking and what?!?! Listening, NAW. Just the big heads.

Love this Joint. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info