Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need magnetic stainless steel

Default I need magnetic stainless steel

I need to mount cat proof screens on our windows. This is to keep cats out of the house not in the house. The thought is to build wooden frames with flat strips ofmagnetic SS screwed into the wooden frame to hold the screen in place. Then to inlay round magnets in the wooden window frames.

That is unless you all have a better idea for keeping the cats out.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    I need to mount cat proof screens on our windows. This is to keep cats out of the house not in the house. The thought is to build wooden frames with flat strips ofmagnetic SS screwed into the wooden frame to hold the screen in place. Then to inlay round magnets in the wooden window frames.

a big dog?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post

A dog that "likes" cats might do the trick But if you already are going to inlay magnets into the window frames, then what's keeping you from doing the same to the frames of the screens? A matching magnet to magnet will definitely hold stronger than magnet to SS. But 440 stainless is a suitable choice if you decide to still go for the original idea....

Actually my first thought was to use back to back magnets and then I thought about the strips. So I will go back to the back to back round magnets.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

"Back in the old days", my parents house had removable wooden screen frames over the windows. At the top of each window frame were low clasps and at the outside top of each screen frame were rectangular loops. The screens were placed over clasp and secured to the window frame, at the bottom, by a hook and eyelet latch. I remember as a kid having to remove the screens and clean the windows every year. (Or to paint) The window frames were made to accept the screen frames with a rabbit that made the screen frames even with the outside of the window frames.

Another option: Get air conditioning and close all the windows.

Electricity would keep them out.
    Andy

You can buy flexible magnetic strips which are very thin and have double sided tape to hold them in place.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    "Back in the old days", my parents house had removable wooden screen frames over the windows. At the top of each window frame were low clasps and at the outside top of each screen frame were rectangular loops. The screens were placed over clasp and secured to the window frame, at the bottom, by a hook and eyelet latch. I remember as a kid having to remove the screens and clean the windows every year. (Or to paint) The window frames were made to accept the screen frames with a rabbit that made the screen frames even with the outside of the window frames.

Another option: Get air conditioning and close all the windows.
    We had those and a second set with glass for the winter.

Stainless steel Grade 420 will work. For best anti-corrosion performance after machining, harden and grind it smooth.

Cucumbers will work...no, seriously, cats have a phobia about them for some reason. Plenty of videos on YouTube about cats vs cucumbers, they literally run away from them