Thread: Turret Tool Post Question

Default Turret Tool Post Question

I have a QC tool post on my other lathes and have never used a turret type tool post so I d not fully understand how they work. The Clausing came with one and I my give it a try. It appears to have some kind of indexing as it will "lock in position when turned even a small amount. My question is this. How is height adjustment done and how is ait done for the four positions? Are shims used?
    CPeter

Yes, shims are used.

For most , shims.

That sort of gives me a mental picture of a stack of odd bits that add up to the height, precariously piled up as you try to put in the tool without knocking any of them out of position.....

So I might point out that for tools that have a known height, like insert tooling, or even brazed carbide, one can make a block of the correct height to bring the tool on center, having one for each common size tool, and avoid the "leaning tower of shims". I did that for one of the lathes I refurbished and sold. it worked well.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

It can be shims or if one were to insert the tool and accurately measure how far below center height the tool is then they could mill themselves a single packing piece which would then stay with that tool. The downside is that if any upper side grinding is done for some top rake angle then as the front and end are touched up the height of the tip is reduced and a single custom piece is no longer any good. At least not after a couple of minor touchups.

But for flat top form tools, insert tooling or brazed carbide tooling where there is often no top rake or only minimal top rake a single custom packing piece could be used. And obviously for a lot of tooling, such as standard size HSS blanks ground as form tools, the packing piece would be a common size.

One thing about an indexing tool post like that is that if it does not have something like 12 or 18 positions is what to do when the compound is turned at some angle. I've seen some where they were 4 position indexing points. That forces the user to position the compound at one position. Or to alter the compound angle all the time. My own lathe came with a poor indexing scheme that didn't really give it a repeatable positioning. I soon removed the indexing ball and spring. But some use a toothed latch which is much better... if indexing like that is something you want.

Here is is tip that wil, save time... figure out your tool height from 4way base.
    On mine it was 7/8. -so keep shims in a box nearby.
    So you use a toolholder with 1/2 shank so I select a 3/8 shim... you can check it with a caliper, either by holding it against tool stack, or pushing toolstack against flat surface, then measure with tail of caliper.
    This usually gets it very close, and quickly.
    Some of my tools have a dedicated shim, and others like my 1 inch square turning tool holder are milled down to Fit the 7/8 spec. I could use a small 4 way for my Southbend 9 inch.