Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skate Bearings Big Brother ???

Default Skate Bearings Big Brother ???

Perhaps one of the absolute cheapest ball bearings assemblies is the infamous skate bearing. They're cheap enough I buy them atleast a dozen at a time for misc projects, and just have them on hand. I probably have 30 or 40 of them in my spare bearings right now, and a small package of them in the center drawer of my desk. You can get them in better grades if you want to, but the plane old cheap import version holds up just fine for hundreds of projects, not the least of which is skate wheels. They are even cheaper than buying bronze bushings from most of the common industrial suppliers. I know. I have a few 8mm bore bronze bushings on hand too.

I've wondered about this for years. I think I might even have asked in other groups before. Is there a big brother to this bearing? Something bigger and nearly as common so that it can be priced to keep a bunch of them on hand for miscellaneous project?
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Nothing will come close in price or volume. Probably 6003 6004 6203 6204 will be high volume items and will be relatively cheap.

Agree with ikdor

6203 would be my first guess, but how the day to day market winds blow is anyone's guess.

Heck, the seal configuration is going to set the price in many ways.

Yep,6202 and 6203,they can be had in their standard metric bores,or with SAE bores.The 6202 are available in 1/2-5/8 and 3/4 bore.The 6203 are available in 5/8-3/4-7/8 and 1" bores,all though the 1" bore ones are $4-5 each.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Some of the bearings found in vacuum cleaners seem to be a step up- don't know if this is really true, but it seems so to me. Router bearings also. You'd be looking at on average about the same ID range, but probably getting a smoother and longer-lived ball bearing. The seal style is important- a 2RS is going to run smoother and longer, but will heat more and waste energy at speed. I've only ever seen skate bearings being 2S, and in one case 1S (one shield only, no rubber seal). I would imagine that a 'higher end' bearing would have seals, but low friction ones instead of the common ones.

Perhaps what they call a skate bearing is just a selection from a manufacturers line-up, but manufactured in greater quantity with less quality control applied. The Chinese in particular like to skip steps like deburring and proper cleaning, it would seem. Perhaps there's some laxity in the production of the grease, and particulates are present.

But having said that, I've gotten some pretty good use out of skate bearings. And I have been burned a couple of times when they were simply not of a good enough quality to be used in a motor or a high speed shaft.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

If you shop around you can get the bigger sizes like 6001 6002 6003 and 6201 6202 up to 35mm OD for about half a dollar per piece. 6303 and 6205 can be still found for less than 1.5usd
    6000 and 6001 sizes with 10mm and 12mm bores are handy for lots of random projects and they "fit" metric bolt sizes for ad-hoc projects. (unlike say 6003 with 15mm bore)

Useful to have some around, listed sizes above also probably save your day if you need to replace alternator bearings.
    I have some of them both in quality version(SKF) and cheap brands so I don't need to use SKF bearing as a "cam roller" on a bolt..

I forget the number but I believe it was one mentioned above (I think the 6002) that the 7x12 bandsaws use for guide bearings. Like mentioned they are cheap, I have a bunch of those as well as the "skate bearings" on hand too. Handy stuff to have around.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience View Post
    Yep,6202 and 6203,they can be had in their standard metric bores,or with SAE bores.The 6202 are available in 1/2-5/8 and 3/4 bore.The 6203 are available in 5/8-3/4-7/8 and 1" bores,all though the 1" bore ones are $4-5 each.
    how do you get say 6203's in anything but 40x17mm....its not a 6203 if its not 40x17??

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    how do you get say 6203's in anything but 40x17mm....its not a 6203 if its not 40x17??
    Many many years back I worked at a bearing suppler. Ball bearings with bores that are not the standard size were called specials. The numbering was something like 6203-5/8 for example, standard 6203 bearing but with a 5/8 bore. Commonly there were usually standard metric bearings but with a fractional bore. I have no idea if the numbering system is still like the example I gave or if different manufacturers number differently. A lot changes in 45 years.

Edit: did a google search.... one company at least numbers those specials a bit different, still a "dash" number though. 6203-2RS-10 in the example case
    https://bearingsdirect.com/odd-size-...RoCpoQQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by Sparky_NY; 07-25-2019 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    Many many years back I worked at a bearing suppler. Ball bearings with bores that are not the standard size were called specials. The numbering was something like 6203-5/8 for example, standard 6203 bearing but with a 5/8 bore. Commonly there were usually standard metric bearings but with a fractional bore. I have no idea if the numbering system is still like the example I gave or if different manufacturers number differently. A lot changes in 45 years.
    That would be the most common marking for retard bearings but I have seen some also with only extra letter like x for ”special” that turns out to be 608 with 5/16” bore