Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Computer Power Question - When OFF

Default OT: Computer Power Question - When OFF

I have a tower, PC style computer here in my office. And I turn it off every night when I am finished working. All the lights of off so it is as off as I can make it without unplugging it from the wall outlet. I often charge my cameras with a USB cable to this computer and that has worked well.

But in the mornings when I come back into the office I usually find that any camera that was left charging will have it's view screen illuminated. I haven't worried about this too much because they always seemed to be fully charged and ready for use. I figured that the screen did not take too much current so it didn't drain the freshly charged battery down too much.

Today this was taken another step because I had left a camera in it's soft case while charging it last night. And, when I went to disconnect it, before turning the computer on, it was warm. Not hot, but definitely warm. This tells me that some amount of current must have been flowing to the screen.

Now I am wondering if the computer is really turning off completely? Or does it continue to supply current to the USB jacks even when it is otherwise OFF? Anyone have any information on this? Do some or all computers still have current supplied to the USB ports even when they are shut down?
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

When you turn those computers off there never really off. there's always power flowing somewhere to the power relay and probably to other parts of the board as well.

Batteries to get warm when they're charging.

JL....

Assuming you are talking about a windows PC - the USB ports can be configured to stay on or turn off.
    First off, are you sure you are turning the computer off? The power button can be set to turn the machine off, put it to sleep, or hibernate.

Personally, I don't bother to turn off my PC. The box I am currently using has been on 24/7 since I built it in 2006 and only uses 72 watts, according the the UPS.

ATX/pc power supplies have small auxillary 5v power supply that can keep the USB ports alive even when shut down normally. Only way to turn off the aux supply is to disconnect power or use the power switch behind the power supply.

Like I say to my Wife, flip the cables and ports. If one port is good they all all. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Assuming you are talking about a windows PC - the USB ports can be configured to stay on or turn off.
    First off, are you sure you are turning the computer off? The power button can be set to turn the machine off, put it to sleep, or hibernate.

Personally, I don't bother to turn off my PC. The box I am currently using has been on 24/7 since I built it in 2006 and only uses 72 watts, according the the UPS.
    This.
    Configuration is key to what is alive and what is not.
    On my own personal PCs when in sleep mode the USB ports are able to charge a device. When my PCs are in hibernate or off mode the USB port are indeed off.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

How does one go about configuring the different modes? Is that done through Windows? ...or through "Setup?" ..or a Dip switch inside the computer?

Or maybe by the careful arrangement of chicken bones underneath the light of a full moon.

Call me suspicious, but unless I've unplugged the PC from the wall, it is still "on" to some degree. I find it interesting that my smart phone, left at 100% charge at midnight, is often at or below 60% by 7am even with all of the apps disabled in the settings. I read an IT article about 3 months ago where a guy had his smart phone analyzed by a tech firm for 2 days. They reported many apps being active, transmitting and updating despite there being nothing about them being active or allowing access in the settings. No, I'm pretty sure we don't own these device anymore. We just pay the $1,000 price to be allowed to carry them around, make the occasional call, and take pictures.

Most motherboards can be configured through the UEFI/BIOS for charging when off. Go to Advanced > Chipset Configuration > disable On/Off Play
    May be worded differently but same basic process.

Windows may have a way of changing bios settings, but I'm not sure how to do it while in windows.

All those apps running on phones are the best reason to root or jailbreak your phone. Pretty much everything on an android is connected to Google and also wants full permissions

Quote Originally Posted by OaklandGB View Post
    I find it interesting that my smart phone, left at 100% charge at midnight, is often at or below 60% by 7am even with all of the apps disabled in the settings.

A phone is a bit different since it is constantly waiting for an incoming call so it has to be powered up to a different level ready to recieve. Is it here yet....Is it here yet....Is it here yet....Is it here yet....Is it here yet............................
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/