Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: Computer Power Question - When OFF

Modern ATX power supplies conform to standards that expect them to only consume 1 watt or less when the pc is shut down with a live power supply connected. That power usage will increase if USB ports are being used.
    72 Watts is 631 KW hours per year, some people would prefer to switch completely off when not in use, not only saving some money, but reducing the small fire risk.
    A modern mobile phone with a decent size battery would be impossible to sell to the general public.
    Last edited by old mart; 07-26-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by loose nut View Post
    A phone is a bit different since it is constantly waiting for an incoming call so it has to be powered up to a different level ready to recieve. Is it here yet....Is it here yet....Is it here yet....Is it here yet....Is it here yet............................
    It is the ”everything else” in smart phones that consumes battery.

Nokia ”dumb phone” manages 19 DAYS battery life with 1000mAh battery. If it would be equipped with 5000mAh battery like many smartphones it would have 3 month battery life!

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    Modern ATX power supplies conform to standards that expect them to only consume 1 watt or less when the pc is shut down with a live power supply connected. That power usage will increase if USB ports are being used.
    72 Watts is 631 KW hours per year, some people would prefer to switch completely off when not in use, not only saving some money, but reducing the small fire risk.
    A modern mobile phone with a decent size battery would be impossible to sell to the general public.
    631 kWH would cost me $50.48 USD per year. One other minor detail, powered off computers but still plugged in can be awaked and hacked or used as zombie computers to hack others. FYI.
    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

I also have a tower and run Win10. It is configured to sleep after 20 minutes with no input. when in sleep mode it draws about 3W and it is set (via BIOS) to allow charging devices via the USB's; while sleeping the power light blinks once per second. Also have a shortcut on the desktop that can be double clicked to put the machine to sleep.

The mouse is configured so it wakes the computer by clicking a key - this wakes the computer in about 3 seconds, more convenient than a full shut down where it takes about 20 seconds for the computer to be back in action plus the time to start the browser and open commonly used sites. The keyboard is configured so it doesn't wake the computer - the cat walking on the keyboard used to wake the computer so it made sense to avoid keyboard wakeups (and because further strolling on the keyboard sometimes locked the computer up).

About once a month I do a shutdown (power light remains off) to clear any memory leakage issues etc. that accumulate over time. This was an issue with some prior releases of Windows and/or Firefox but hasn't seemed to be an issue in the last few months.

All the instructions needed to set things up were found on the net.

EDIT:
    To create a Sleep shortcut, create a shortcut on the desktop. Right click the shortcut and select "Properties". Select "Target" and insert the following as the Target:
    C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

Change the Icon to something uncommon, I use the large blue square found in the standard icons.
    Last edited by GadgetBuilder; 07-27-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetBuilder View Post
    Also have a shortcut on the desktop that can be double clicked to put the machine to sleep.
    How the heck did you do that. I was told that a sleep shortcut was impossible.

San Diego, Ca *** Please let us know where you are from too.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    But in the mornings when I come back into the office I usually find that any camera that was left charging will have it's view screen illuminated. I haven't worried about this too much because they always seemed to be fully charged and ready for use. I figured that the screen did not take too much current so it didn't drain the freshly charged battery down too much.
    I suspect the screen is designed to come on when fully charged. After the screen comes on, it does not start draining the battery.
    As long as you have it on the charge cable, it should stay at 100% even if you pick it up and use (while plugged in)
    John Titor, when are you.

Quote Originally Posted by lbender View Post
    How the heck did you do that. I was told that a sleep shortcut was impossible.
    I've always used desktop shortcuts to sleep. hibernate, or to tun the PC off with one click.

https://winaero.com/blog/create-shut...in-windows-10/

Then you create a shortcut to put Windows 10 to sleep this way:

• Right click the Desktop and select New - Shortcut.
    • In the shortcut target box, type or copy-paste the following command: c:\apps\sleep.cmd. Correct the file path according to your preferences.
    • Set the desired icon and name for your shortcut.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    631 kWH would cost me $50.48 USD per year.
    Be thankful you don't live here in the Far North of New Zealand, where it would cost you NZ$284 (US$188).
    Last edited by Mike Burch; 07-26-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Yikes! 631 kWh only costs me $27 (but I admit to having found a rather good contract price - deregulation is great!).
    Since the computer would only be off when I am sleeping, the difference is only about $9/year. Judging from the longevity I have gotten from computers, I can only surmise that leaving them on increases the lifespan to some notable degree. It is set where the HDD never even turns off IIRC. I do have two low speed DBB fans plus the one in the power supply, and paid a lot of attention to airflow.

Quote Originally Posted by OaklandGB View Post
    I find it interesting that my smart phone, left at 100% charge at midnight, is often at or below 60% by 7am even with all of the apps disabled in the settings.
    I keep my location/GPS, cellular data and wi-fi turned off unless I specifically need one of them, which really helps the battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by OaklandGB View Post
    I'm pretty sure we don't own these device anymore.
    No kidding, very irritating.