Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help me identify this metal lathe!

Default Please Help me identify this metal lathe!

Hi everyone, I recently got a deal on a lathe and tooling that I absolutely could not pass up. I bought it from someone who was selling it for someone else so I was/am limited on asking the owner anything. It's beautiful and true and works great, I just have no idea what kind it is! And I'm not versed enough to know what tooling etc will 'just work' by looking at it or measuring if that makes sense. Anyway, this forum has been an incredible resource to so many for so long and I hope someone can help me. Lastly, I had this apart and thoroughly cleaned it and scoured it and could not find any obviously identifying characteristics or marks etc...if anyone has any insight or if I need to take more or different photos or measurements, please let me know and thank you in advance!
    -Samm

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Looks like a high $$$ watchmakers lathe.
    Don't know which one it is but I would of snatched it up as well!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Mid-sized for sure. A lot of the smaller watchmaker's lathes are single pedestal; this one has two.
    Elgin, Cataract, Rivett, Schaublin, Hardinge are possibilities--none seem to matchup exactly to what
    you have. There are a lot of relatively obscure brands out that all look very similar. Without identifying
    marks it can be tricky to make a positive ID.

I'd ask your question on the antique forum over at Practical Machinist--there a pretty deep knowledge
    base over there...
    Keith

I think Drummond might be a possibility but they may be smaller than that one.

Looks Rivett(ish) to me with a Schaublin(ish) top slide.

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    I think Drummond might be a possibility but they may be smaller than that one.
    Doesn't look like any Drummond I've ever seen .
    OP could try looking on www.lathes.co.uk website, theres information on hundreds of different lathes on there.

The drive is a mess, though isn't it, that big 2 sheave cast pulley on the spindle instead of the (probably flat belt) cone pulley it clearly should have had.
    Last edited by Richard P Wilson; 07-28-2019 at 03:24 AM.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Dollars to donuts its a Stark. The police badge bed profile and feet are a good hint. It might be call an instrument lathe, way to big to be called a watchmakers (Stark did make watchmakers lathes). There were lots and lots of high quality little lathes made with very similar form factors, Stark is an example and an excellent lathe. Someone's turned the spindle down from the original cone flat belt pulley which is unfortunate, but it should still work. These taper plane bearing lathes will go forever and are extremely precise....provide a knuckle dragger hasn't run it without oil
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 07-28-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Stark No 4. Looks like it’s got the original cross slide and tool post as well.

http://http://www.lathes.co.uk/stark/page3.html

Might have been set up for a dedicated job with the double sheeve pulley giving a fixed speed, would make a nice platform to attach a VFD or Consew motor to.

From the UK site picture, the badge might be under the power switch box? What a great find. Do let us know where your from, even if it's just the continent, it helps for the group to help you with things like the ID of the machine.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

Great find. I would hazard a guess that its a clockmaker's lathe rather that watchmaker. Its a bit big for watch maker. Hope you take the time to let us know where you're from, it helps.

Sarge41.