Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orbital Sander Repair

Default Orbital Sander Repair

I've had this Metabo sander for a long time. The last few times I've used it it's been pretty noisy. The noise seemed to be the base orbiting beyond it's orbit and hitting the housing. If I set it down on something to sand and bear down on it it's fine.
    Today I took it apart. What I found is the four posts that keep the base aligned are wore out, soft and crumbling. Most likely the problem since the bearings are fine.
    No other loose parts etc., actually it's pretty clean inside.

So, would anyone know what the material is that was used for these four posts ??
    I'm guessing that they are either solid latex or some kind of rubber. What could I use for replacements?? I have some Delrin rod I could turn down.
    The posts are 7/16" in dia. x about 1" best I can tell from their condition.
    They seem to have dry rotted over time as you can see by how I stuck the screw driver into the end of one, it crumbles.

JL................

Those posts have to flex enough to allow the pad to oscillate. If they were Delrin I think that they would so stiff that the whole sander would oscillate. It has to be a special material to flex a lot but still be strong enough to endure the flexing. 'Twere me I would make a big effort to find replacement parts.

Bob, this is why I'm asking. I did call for parts. No such luck for anything older than 8 years.

What would be a good substitute?? Hard rubber rod?? 80 durometer hardness ??

JL..............

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    I've had this Metabo sander for a long time. The last few times I've used it it's been pretty noisy. The noise seemed to be the base orbiting beyond it's orbit and hitting the housing. If I set it down on something to sand and bear down on it it's fine.
    Today I took it apart. What I found is the four posts that keep the base aligned are wore out, soft and crumbling. Most likely the problem since the bearings are fine.
    No other loose parts etc., actually it's pretty clean inside.

So, would anyone know what the material is that was used for these four posts ??
    I'm guessing that they are either solid latex or some kind of rubber. What could I use for replacements?? I have some Delrin rod I could turn down.
    The posts are 7/16" in dia. x about 1" best I can tell from their condition.
    They seem to have dry rotted over time as you can see by how I stuck the screw driver into the end of one, it crumbles.

JL................

I would guess they are rubber, flexible, to allow the plate to oscillate,so I don't think deldrin would work. ereplacementparts.com shows a lot of Metabo models that they have parts for, take a gander

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
    ... 'Twere me I would make a big effort to find replacement parts.
    Not much effort at all (assuming this is the right model):
    https://www.toolpartspro.com/metabo-...420-parts.html

"Swivel pins" (part 5), $4

Not much effort at all (assuming this is the right model):
    Ummm ... that's probably not the model. It looks more like a SR-226. In which case:
    https://raretoolparts.com/product/me...1780-pad-post/

It's a model 221. Other models may use the same or similar material, but I would have to take a guess at which model to order parts for.
    No parts department person is going to tell me what models interchange.

JL.....

Ummm ... that's probably not the model. It looks more like a SR-226. In which case:
    https://raretoolparts.com/product/me...1780-pad-post/
    Ok, this place says they have 3 in stock. $4 ea. ?? Pretty pricey. Not sure if their original metabo parts or cheap copies.

I'll have to call the company again tomorrow now that I have a couple model numbers to choose from.

JL.....

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    It's a model 221. Other models may use the same or similar material, but I would have to take a guess at which model to order parts for.
    No parts department person is going to tell me what models interchange.

JL.....
    The RareToolParts page shows that part is for the 221 also.

The photo there is interesting - it look like the part is cast, maybe with urethane. I have used a 2-part urethane and it is both flexible and tough. And expensive.

Yes I would machine a mould and cast 80 shore polyurethane.