Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orbital Sander Repair

Looks like urethane to me.

Here's a thought- have a look at the variety of bungee cords that stores carry. You might find one that is solid rubber with a round cross section and the right diameter. You're not likely to find urethane, but you probably will find braided stretchy 'rope', which would probably be latex. If you find one that is just a tad larger than your crumbling ones, you can cut sections out of it to the same length as your urethane ones. Wrapping thread around the ends will shrink them down enough to insert into the sockets.

Another thing you could do - visit a dollar store and buy some of those really bouncy balls. Carve the rods you need out of them.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

3/8" fuel line hose would probably do it.

Ken, That was my idea also. I have some 3/8" .095 wall silicone hose. If I push a .260 dia. piece of delrin through it the OD expands to about .418. Just about the same as the original posts. I punched out some 1/8" thick rubber discs to stick in each end. I'll post a pic of it later.

Darrl, bungee cords are way too soft. Hard rubber rod would be my next choice, but I don't have any on hand.

JL..............

Silicone hose may be too soft. That sounds like vacuum hose. If you get Fuel Line Hose, it's a harder rubber and it's reinforced.

I just said 3/8 because that's what it looked like in your photo. There's all different sizes of fuel line hose. Get one that closely matches what you need for the OD..
    Last edited by CCWKen; 07-30-2019 at 08:24 AM.

I do have some fuel hose and it is a bit harder than the silicone. The reinforcing won't help any in this application but the hardness is there.

JL............

If the material needs to be that hard you could sacrifice a hockey puck. They are easy enough to cut on a bandsaw, and you can shape the pieces on a sander. You probably just need to round the ends so they will fit in the sockets.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

The hockey puck is a great idea. I could cut out some plugs and grind them to the proper OD on my T&C grinder. They are pretty hard too. Probably better than 80 durometer.

I made some out of fuel line, but it's a little big on the OD and really hard to press into the holes. I'm afraid that they may restrict the orbit.
    I may have to shave them a little on the ends.

JL..............

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    I made some out of fuel line, but it's a little big on the OD and really hard to press into the holes. I'm afraid that they may restrict the orbit.
    I may have to shave them a little on the ends.
    Just stick them on a snug-fitting bolt and use the stationary belt sander to sand the OD of the end slightly. If you prefer, put them on a rod and use a drill to spin them against the belt. Works great for a little reduction, but too much and you can hit the braid (not that it matters in this application).

I ground about .020 off the dia. of one end of each one in my T&C grinder. They fit perfectly in the hole now.

It runs like new, quiet and smooth for how ever long it lasts.

When I run across some urathane rod of the right dia. which is .418 or 10.63 mm I'll grab it for future repairs.

JL...........