Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Bad idea for seperating water from solvent?

Default OT - Bad idea for seperating water from solvent?

A shop visitor had a little mishap with my solvent based parts cleaner tank. Contaminated about 20 gallons of Agitene/Varsol with a big glass of ice tea. I was thinking of draining off the bottom 5 gallons or so, settling out the solids, syphoning off the liquid from the top into one gallon jugs and freezing them. The water would freeze and I could drain off the solvent.

Won't work as planned? Or a bad idea to put this stuff in the household freezer? Better ideas?

I don't see why your plan won't work (assuming that your solvent is petroleum based). I would just tilt the tank slightly toward the drain plug, then drain off a few gallons of the "mix". The "tea" should be on the bottom, so just pour off the solvent and toss the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie_obe View Post
    A shop visitor had a little mishap with my solvent based parts cleaner tank. Contaminated about 20 gallons of Agitene/Varsol with a big glass of ice tea. I was thinking of draining off the bottom 5 gallons or so, settling out the solids, syphoning off the liquid from the top into one gallon jugs and freezing them. The water would freeze and I could drain off the solvent.

Won't work as planned? Or a bad idea to put this stuff in the household freezer? Better ideas?
    I use agitene also (green metal can?) and I thought it was water based. Good to know. I wouldnt put in my kitchen freezer though, thats just me. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Water should be heavier than Agitene/Varsol and not much soluble to it either so it should settle to the bottom of the container.
    Wait day or two and drain quart off from the bottom.

I would just let it settle out as others have said.

If you have a buddy who owns a Mr. Funnel perhaps you could borrow it?

The Mr. Funnel Fuel Filter is specially designed to filter out water, dirt, and debris from most fuels including, gasoline, diesel, heating oil, and kerosene.

Chamois is what they used in the "aircraft" business back in the WWII area to filter water from Avation gasoline.
    ...lew...

The parts cleaner mixture may contain surfactants that promote the formation of stubborn emulsions with water upon agitation.....so I would let it settle quietly and drain off the watery residue at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
    Chamois is what they used in the "aircraft" business back in the WWII area to filter water from Avation gasoline.
    ...lew...
    I've read the same thing, but never tried it. It does have to be a genuine Chamois, not a modern miracle substitute. From time to time you have to stop and wring the water out of the chamois.

Think about this a minute! Twenty gallons is 2560 ounces. Glass of iced tea is maybe 20 ounces. At 128 to one who really cares! Just pretend it never happened and carry on.
    Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec