Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Deere vs Steam - This Is Great

Default John Deere vs Steam - This Is Great

Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Not really that great. The difference in height between the two tractors drawbars means the the JD tractor's rear end up is lifted up while the stream tractor's rear end is pulled down.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
    Not really that great. The difference in height between the two tractors drawbars means the the JD tractor's rear end up is lifted up while the stream tractor's rear end is pulled down.
    Tractor people always say that!

I wonder how those two tractors match up horsepower-wise. And needless to say, that steam tractor looks to have a significant weight advantage. The guy in the JD tractor might want to be in 4WD mode next time, but it probably would not matter. It would be good fun to see this in person, in any event.

Is there supposed to be a video in that link?

I buried my Ford 3910 up to the rear axle and pulled it out with my 20hp "Johnny Popper". The JD will also push a 5-ton pile of dirt without breathing hard.
    Last edited by CCWKen; 08-01-2019 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Corrected "Johnny"

when an 8 year old makes the fist in the air pumping "blow your whistle" signal, the modern tractor got nothing.

you know what they say about j-d tractors?

they leave the red and gray tractors for us that know better.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    Is there supposed to be a video in that link?

I buried my Ford 3910 up to the rear axle and pulled it out with my 20hp "Johnny Popper". The JD will also push a 5-ton pile of dirt without breathing hard.
    Hmm, a Johnny Popper with 20hp and pushing dirt piles, I'm going to guess maybe an MC or 40C. How'd I do?

The big difference is that the steam tractor can apply maximum horsepower at ~0rpm, while the JD will need to be in his power band to maximize horsepower. That lets the steam tractor walk away through massive torque at a low wheel rpm (no slip, static friction) while the JD spins against it also with high torque but with the wheels spinning (slip, sliding friction). If you were to gear the JD down to the level where you'd see the type of torque at minimum rpm it would be a much different contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
    Hmm, a Johnny Popper with 20hp and pushing dirt piles, I'm going to guess maybe an MC or 40C. How'd I do?
    Close. It's a 1956 420C. (Tracked crawler/dozer) It spent it's working life as a pipe layer so it has a front blade, boom on the left and counter weights on the right.