Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 10EE inspection

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    I've decided to gut the original drive system, replace it with one of those 90v treadmill motors. I am also intrigued by a recent ELS project on YouTube, so I'm going to sell all the gears on the 10EE and where the round emblem is for the speeds and feeds, replace it with an LCD display for the ELS. The Tachometer will get similar treatment.
    The main spindle bearings require lube, and that is messy, think I will replace them with sealed wheel axle bearings for simplicity. I'm going to use a hammer and chisel to extract them.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Your sarcasm is exquisite, especially for so early in the morning...

Quote Originally Posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    Your sarcasm is exquisite, especially for so early in the morning...
    Extreme, horrendous jet lag...

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Extreme, horrendous jet lag...

Ah, that sux... no real cure for it that I know of, either. Sleep.

The original FWD/REV contactors have been removed and replaced with modern solid state stuff. I bet those aren't cheap.
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    $7200, makes my 1600 seem pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
    The original FWD/REV contactors have been removed and replaced with modern solid state stuff. I bet those aren't cheap.
    Very cool.

Ok, I managed to save enough for a RPC, just ordered one! Told the wife first so I wouldn't have to deal with it later.
    So in 1.5 weeks we should have a power up test!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    What is it about that complicated drive that tops all the others,?
    If that DC drive was so good, why hasnt Clausing, LeBlonde, American, Pacemaker, South Bend, Logan, and the rest haven't adopted it? Why didn't they adopt that 60 years ago?
    South bend?? Not even in the same breath. Many south bends don't even have lubrication of the bed and saddle. They start wearing themselves out on day 1. They didn't even bother to put ball oilers so you could squirt lube behind the wipers. And over all those years, they never bothered to add them. They wanted them to wear out. It's a shame, because they are otherwise such nice lathes.

Your question has been answered many times in the Monarch forum over the years. This really isn't the thread for it. It isn't just the drive, which has a 1:100 speed ratio and speed compensation under load, 40 to 4000 rpm (etc), with no gears to impair the surface finish. The DC motor provides substantial torque at low rpm, while remaining smooth. Another key feature is the longevity of the machine, similar to most Monarchs.

It was one of the primary machines used for machining nuclear metals in the production of the The Bomb. You may know that the Hanford facility had 45 nuclear reactors (remarkably, free tours are still available - go while you can). Posts have gone into more details on that interesting application. There are many 10ee's entombed in concrete pits, never to be seen again. Very hard materials, that were surely among the most expensive substances and assemblies ever made at the time, maybe by multiple magnitudes. Often the machine could not be directly operated, placing tremendous emphasis on ease of use via indirect mechanisms.

Fwiw, my 1969 Lodge & Shipley 14x30 has a Reliance DC drive, 7.5HP.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/monarch/page2.html

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-exist-100737/

Quote Originally Posted by donie View Post
    Den, My 83EE had passed an acceptance test I have the document in front of me now.
    *4.5.5 Finish test in chuck. A test part part of aluminum bar not less than 2 1/4" in diameter and of suficient length for chucking and turning shall be used. A truing cut may be taken as required. A finish cut shall be made at least two inches long using the maximum practical spindle speed and feed rate recomended for finish turning aluminum bar using carbide tooling. The turned diameter shall be checked for taper and out of roundness not to exceed 0.000030 inch. A facing cut shall be made and checked for axial runout not to exceed 0.000030 inch. Surface finish shall not be rougher than 16 microinches.
    The length finish test specifies A 12" length of SAE1040 steel over 2 collars, out of roundness not to exceed 0.00015 inches, Taper not to exceed 0.0003 in 12 inches and surface finish not rougher than 32 micro inches.
    The machine now 21 years old and will meet or exceed this test cutting oil hardening tool steel.
    This machine is in excelant condition, however there is a slight amount of wear at the chuck end of the bed, so the last 1.5 inces of carriage travel has to be avoided or the work piece will suffer an intolerable .0001 inch error.
    I know of another machine made in the late 70s that was made to this tolerance.
    I would assume that this extra came at extra cost.
    It should be noted that to pass this test that the spindle runout is 30 millionths or less, I can say that it is less.
    Also note that carbide is used in finish cutting not high speed steel, When finish cutting oil hardening tool steel of 1.5" diameter, I would use a carbide AR style tool at .0005 to .00075 depth of cut at .0005 feed, at around 3000 rpm and a Bees Wax based lube aplied to the part.
    Needless to say I use a very sharp tool.
    Say What?
    Don
    Edit: spelling
    Last edited by Glug; 08-02-2019 at 01:37 PM.

You'll get so much more help on this machine in the Monarch forum, where all of the highest quality info resides. Typically folks create one thread to document their machine. That way all the history is documented in one place for future questions. It is nice that the forum is a sort of clearing house for all info on these lathes, so it isn't scattered. There is a vast amount of info and experience I prefer to look for here at HSM, but not that info.

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    You'll get so much more help on this machine in the Monarch forum, where all of the highest quality info resides. Typically folks create one thread to document their machine. That way all the history is documented in one place for future questions. It is nice that the forum is a sort of clearing house for all info on these lathes, so it isn't scattered. There is a vast amount of info and experience I prefer to look for here at HSM, but not that info.
    I'll stop resisting to post over there, I know I should.

Glugs right, its the epicenter for 10ee content. Only problem is its bloody annoying stepping over all the cowpies, er billpies.