Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 10EE inspection

Yeah, like I thought the variac is for the field weakening. You cant get past base speed without it, which is what you are hitting. Once you hot base speed then you adjust the variac and you should start accelerating.

Quote Originally Posted by macona View Post
    Yeah, like I thought the variac is for the field weakening. You cant get past base speed without it, which is what you are hitting. Once you hot base speed then you adjust the variac and you should start accelerating.
    Yep, that will be my next project after the shop wiring is done. The car took longer than expected

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

All the threads and feeds work, and mechanical threading stop.
    Manually turning the variac on the front does nothing.

Wait a minute... Why not rebuild the Rheostat for the field winding? If it is even bad? Ok, next visit home I am going to go over this lathe with a fine tooth comb

The rheostat might be fine but there might be a bad relay. I think a bad FA relay can stop the field weakening bit working. Cal Haines would know.
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Can you trace any of the wiring to/from the variac? If it is supplying the field you should see an effect on the motor speed, most noticeable when the armature voltage and motor speed is at its greatest. Might be handy to know the armature voltage range as well as the field voltage range.

Quote Originally Posted by rkepler View Post
    Can you trace any of the wiring to/from the variac? If it is supplying the field you should see an effect on the motor speed, most noticeable when the armature voltage and motor speed is at its greatest. Might be handy to know the armature voltage range as well as the field voltage range.
    I'm nearing going back to work. Just finished the big items on the cars. Next visit home I will spend considerable time on it.