Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dividing or Indexing head

Default Dividing or Indexing head

Updated posting:

I need some help for those in the know. I've never used either a dividing or indexing head so I know very little about them. I need to buy one for my old Bridgeport and would rather buy used. I simply don't know 'specifically' what to look for and what sort of questions to ask of the seller. I have a 12" Bison RT if that helps.

https://pbase.com/smokedaddy/image/40371536

The picture of that Bison RT is several years old. I want to be able to mill grooves etc. in dials, handles, knobs etc. I would also like the ability to make gears and experiment with
    Last edited by Smokedaddy; 08-02-2019 at 04:32 PM.

That RT looks unused. What would you make with a dividing head? In other words, why do you need a DH?

The rotary table can be used as a dividing head. It depends on what project you need one for. A spindex would be an inexpensive way to get an indexer, if that would fit your needs. One with a matching tailstock will give you more options.

"Indexers" are usually parallel to the table , whereas most DH's can be angled from Horizontal to vertical .
    Having a tailstock helps if you do long work ( more than 3-4" )
    Most important probably is the spindle :
    Does it have threads to match one of your chucks ( 1 1/2"-8 for example)
    Does it allow 5 C collets ( most common)- if not, what collets (some are rare ! ie B &S 9) and do collets come with it.
    Rich

Tricky complicated work , gears splines etc use a dividing head.
    Repetitive production work like drilling or milling , get an indexer..
    If your RT is horizontal and vertical, that can get you through a lot of stuff, hope the worm can be disengaged on the RT... if it cant...it will be a lot of extra work.. to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    Tricky complicated work , gears splines etc use a dividing head.
    Repetitive production work like drilling or milling , get an indexer.
    Dividing heads (usually) have direct indexing modes that allow very fast operation in "repetitive production work."

A rotary table can do everything that a dividing head can do, but not vice versa. Dividing and indexing heads are intended for repetitive production types of work, they are for saving time and money. I had to produce a dial with 118 divisions per turn, and used degrees and minutes of arc on a rotary table to do it, very likely the only mechanical solution available to me.
    Even if the RT does not have a vertical axis built in, it could possibly be attached to a large angle plate or box.
    Last edited by old mart; 08-02-2019 at 03:36 PM.

These are pics of my Tos Kurim Indexer or is it called super spacer ,I have tailstock to match it as well.I have matching 12" RT which both are designed to be powered.

I bought both a DH and RT when I set up my retirement workshop and I must say I use the DH by preference, however sometimes the RT is just the perfect fit..

Milling a wooden auger for a marble handling machine!
    Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 08-02-2019 at 04:51 PM.

Tundra, I get a serious case of tool envy every time you post pictures.