Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Going to re-wire the shop

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Ok! I will return my white wire for the third time! Argh!...
    Color code is black, red and blue for the 3 hot legs, plus green for the ground.

I installed a separate 3-phase distribution panel fed from the rotary phase converter control panel, which is supplied from a dedicated breaker on my single phase panel. Four 20-amp breakers supply 4 individual circuits, though only 1 machine will be run at a time. Idler motor is 5 hp. Largest load is 2 hp.

No other single phase power should be run "through the inverter panel".

Last edited by ezduzit; 08-04-2019 at 02:09 PM.
    12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
    Index "Super 55" mill
    18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
    7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
    24" State disc sander

Nice looking panels EZ, well done.

A--thanks.
    12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
    Index "Super 55" mill
    18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
    7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
    24" State disc sander

Ok, ordered some THHN blue for my third leg, will not run a neutral with the three phase. If I redo the 120v, think I'll run two 20 amp circuits in it's own conduit to 4 gang boxes. Right side A, left side B on each box. Going to make sure it's all to code (mostly) for peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

You might be able to use blue DyKem to paint a white wire for the third leg.

Something to consider. I power all of my machines with SO type neoprene cable, rated for the machine, dropped down from the ceiling from the conduit boxes, to twist lock connectors about head high. I just hate cable running on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by daryl bane View Post
    Something to consider. I power all of my machines with SO type neoprene cable, rated for the machine, dropped down from the ceiling from the conduit boxes, to twist lock connectors about head high. I just hate cable running on the floor.
    That would greatly simply my wiring of the garage

Just to add. Tapped off the main 220 single phase line to a big fused blade disconnect box that I found in the dumpster, then to a sub breaker panel to feed the machines, rotary phase converter, etc. like what is shown in earlier posts. Stranded wire from the breaker box through a main large conduit to individual boxes on ceiling over each machine. SO neoprene cable out each box down to machine. I have been told that the twist lock connectors are an approved subsitute for a power shut off for each machine. Maybe overkill, but I like having a main disconnect for just the shop , when going on vacations, etc.
    Last edited by daryl bane; 08-06-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Run conduit along the ceiling and use Kellem Grips on the cord. I do this at home and we have a 100 or so drops like this at work, some with multiple outlets in one or more 4 inch boxes suspended at +36in. Box use on the end of the cord requires cord clamps also. Vertical has to be with 3 feet or so of the attachment point for the grip.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 08-06-2019 at 11:24 PM.

Who ever said metal conduit was easy is full of $%#t. Wasted 10ft of it until I realised that I needed to be methodical and use math. Well, learning a new skill!