Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: House painting

Thumbs up OT: House painting

A few weeks ago I found a 5 gallon bucket of flat white house paint at Walmart, marked down to $45. Seemed like a good deal, and I have been planning to get my house(s) repainted soon, now that the roof repairs are complete. So my buddy John came by around 10:00 today and spent a few hours doing prep work on the smaller house (713) where I live. Meanwhile. I opened the bucket of paint and it was badly in need of stirring. I scooped a quart or two out of the bucket to make it easier to mix without spilling, and as I dug the more solid portion from the bottom, I noticed some gray streaks. As I continued stirring, I could see that this is actually a light gray tint:

It's light enough that it would probably look OK - the stirring stick compared to existing house:

I painted the mailbox "swing arm" - looks OK:

I also figured that the house might need two coats, and if the gray doesn't look right, the second coat could be true white. The slightly different colors will help keep track of the two coats. But I looked at Walmart's website, and this particular brand had one poor rating, and was no longer available:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/White-Col...allon/31698490

So, I think I will go to Lowes and buy a 5 gallon bucket of their best house paint, for almost $200. However, it is paint + primer, has a lifetime guarantee, and is mold-resistant and washable. So I might use the light gray paint on my other house (715) which I use as workshop and storage, and is not in very good shape. Each 5 gallon bucket is supposed to cover 2000 square feet, and my smaller house is about 1100 square feet, while the larger one is about 1500. I figure I will be paying "Master Painter" John about $1000 for each house, so investing $200 for quality paint is money well spent.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Valspar-Dur...-fl-oz/3076679

Anyone have experience with Valspar? Lowes also has HGTV Home by Sherwin-Williams, $197 for 5 gallons:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/HGTV-HOME-b...-oz/1000208833

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    So, I think I will go to Lowes and buy a 5 gallon bucket of their best house paint, for almost $200. However, it is paint + primer, has a lifetime guarantee, and is mold-resistant and washable. So I might use the light gray paint on my other house (715) which I use as workshop and storage, and is not in very good shape. Each 5 gallon bucket is supposed to cover 2000 square feet, and my smaller house is about 1100 square feet, while the larger one is about 1500. I figure I will be paying "Master Painter" John about $1000 for each house, so investing $200 for quality paint is money well spent.
    Have you gotten a quote from a house painter? A pro might be cheaper.

Thanks Paul --- on a side note; I blew my nose yesterday, just like any other day but to my surprise when I undid my "hanky" to inspect my booger I was shocked,,, a big dried clot of dark red blood attached to the booger, at first I thought I might be hemorrhaging from my brain, but then I was reminded of a pimple i picked inside my nose the night before,

long story short everything turned out just fine, just wanted to share it with all the board members...

u know - kinda like you just did...

Angie's List shows prices for painting a two story house ranging from $2200 to $7500, with average of about $3700. I'm just estimating that John will take about 40 hours per house, at $25/hr. Hopefully he is faster with a brush than with a hammer and roofing nails.

https://www.angieslist.com/articles/...aint-house.htm

We'll have to have a new name for the previous poster - A. K. Booger
    Last edited by PStechPaul; 08-03-2019 at 08:57 PM.

I would never use flat on the exterior of a house...dirt magnet with no durability and washability.

When I painted my house I spent 10 days (5 weekends x 2 10 hour days) prepping the job and 1 day spraying with a hi pressure airless sprayer. Best investment for house painting!

And I used semi-gloss, only because I couldn't find gloss exterior paint.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by polaraligned View Post
    I would never use flat on the exterior of a house...dirt magnet with no durability and washability.
    Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

Flat paint was made for interior use so the lack of gloss will help cover up the crap job that the drywall finishers did.

BTW - My personal experience is that the 5 gallon buckets are cheaper not just because of a volume discount but also because it has a lower solids content than the 1 gallon containers.

Steve

AK Boomer, I suppose you think you're being funny or cute with your disgusting little grade school humor or shock inputs, but most of us here outgrew that sort of stuff long ago.
    It has no humor at all, and the only thing shocking about it is that some adult (supposedly) would embarrass himself amongst, potentially, a worldwide audience of mature people.

That's the sort of stuff one expects to see written on public restroom walls.

I apologize - for some reason this one really got to me, how about a new rule that while yes O.T.'s are still allowed they at least have to be informative/interesting or just plain funny... ?

it was my fault for reading it all - I did not have too but kept thinking something was going to jump out at me, it didn't so I then created the bloody booger story, two wrongs don't make it right - so sorry.

According to the specifications in the link above, the Walmart "ColorPlace" paint is washable, and flat is recommended for siding, while satin or semi-gloss is used for doors and trim. The dried samples look pretty good, but the gray color seems darker in full daylight. So I will just use it for the shed(s) I am building and repairing, and perhaps for the back side of my other house which is for storage/shop.

I question the 47 pound specified weight of the 5 gallon bucket. That would indicate a density just a bit higher than water, which would be 40 pounds plus maybe a couple pounds for the bucket. I can fairly easily handle a 5 gallon bucket of water. I think this is more like 80 pounds. Maybe the gray pigment is lead?

This reference says 56 pounds.