Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going for Inguinal Hernia Surgery- What to expect?

Default Going for Inguinal Hernia Surgery- What to expect?

Having both sides done open surgery on Tuesday. I know this is a common surgery and certainly others here have had it.

Just wondering what others experienced in regards to getting something done in the shop? How long before you were able to work with light items on the lathe?

I have some small bushings to turn, but not sure I will be too comfortable standing in front of the 16x60 for a while. Experiences anyone?

I haven't had hernia surgery, but I have had others. I will say this: follow the instructions to the letter, don't try to push it just because you want to get out into the shop. I ended up getting a small clamp-on vise, some files and a jewelers saw to keep myself busy while sitting down in the kitchen.

Also, I will say: hospitals have REALLY good drugs, make sure you have somebody around you for a few days afterwards at least.

Polaraligned: I had umbilical hernia surgery years ago. Standing over a lathe is about the worst thing I can think of after surgery. Standing over lathes for years is how we got hernias. Can't give you a time line, but would think it would be some time before you reach for the lathe chuck wrench. Ask your Doctor about it, he will probably go thru the roof. Good luck.

Sarge41

Depends if you have Keyhole Surgery or a full on "Gut you Like a Kipper" job, I had the latter as at the time the re-failure rate was a tiny fraction of Keyhole, about 8-10 weeks until I could comfortably drive (proper car with stick shift & clutch) and operate machinery.
    If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by sarge41 View Post
    Standing over lathes for years is how we got hernias.
    Huh. Please explain for those wishing to avoid the Hernia Merit Badge.

I had hernia surgery a couple years ago. Older nurse wheeled me out to the car orders not to lift anything over 5 pounds for at least 2 weeks.

At my follow up with surgeon 2 days after I asked him about the nurse's advice. He said total nonsense. do whatever you want letting pain be your guide. My surgery was through the belly button, minimal pain and quick recovery.

One side effect I did have was POCD, post operative cognitive dysfunction. My POCD wore off in a week or so, but while you have it you find it hard to figure out complicated things. The intensity of POCD can be proportional to the invasiveness of the surgery.

BTW, on the night before my surgery I found a killer deal on CL. Called the seller about help loading into my pickup. Yeah, they could load it. On the way home my hernia bulged out, so painful I had to pull over to lie down in a grassy area. Finally got home and left machine in truck for a day after surgery. Third day after surgery found another machine on CL where I had to help muscle it into truck.
    Last edited by DR; 08-04-2019 at 01:17 PM.

your nuts could swell both mine did on the first time to about the size of a good size goose egg the 2nd time only the left side did ken

I had the single (right) side version of what you are up for. Nearly 20 years ago now but still feel a twinge of pain in the area on occasion. The surgeon used a mesh implant that resembled a badminton birdie, and said that things were pretty torn up down there. I was back to work a week later running a Bridgeport and a 16" lathe. I got all the help I needed getting material cut and lifted onto the machines. Don't try to be a hero. Ask for help. Good luck.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

It's been about ten years or so for me, but I seem to remember bad constipation and extreme elimination discomfort (aka: Pain). I think my son-in-law had the same problems a few years later.

"...a common surgery..."
    I used to view most surgeries as minor events. No more. A few years ago one of my high school classmates awoke during the night, tripped over his dog in the dark, broke his toe (or foot maybe it was) which required "minor" surgery, then died within a few days of an infection.
    Then last week, the wife of a high school classmate of my wife in Germany, died following knee replacement. She was doing fine, making very good progress, then suddenly complications and some serious symptoms developed, sending her to the ER, where she died within just a few hours.

Of course obviously those are rare exceptions, and certainly not intended to scare or discourage anyone, but bad things can happen when you have to seek medical treatment.

I didnt have the one you are getting, mine was the belly button because I was too fat. They did a sew and mesh afair.

Dont wait till the pain hits the day of surgery. The hospitals drugs are good as stated. Take the perc or vicodin before the pain hits. I didnt and had to wait 1-1/2 hrs in severe pain till the stuff kicked in.

And on that note. You shouldn't rely on the pain meds to make you comfortable only to keep you from crying. Sometimes pain can be managed without meds. Time does that.

Just be ready to take it easy for a week or so. I like the idea of small shop tasks that can be done at the kitchen table.

Oh, and walk, even just a lil bit. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info