Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Way, way OT: product comparison, razors

Quote Originally Posted by john hobdeclipe View Post
    What is this "razor" of which you speak? What is it for? What do you do with it? How do you justify this expense? Long-time (47 years) beardo/weirdo is curious about all of this!
    You too?

My beard is so thick and grows so fast, I gave up. Never did find a good blade.

Best shave I ever had was from my barber of 15 years, back when I was 24. Used a antique german straight edge with hot foam, you could almost see through the blade it was so thin... for my sisters wedding, came out slick as oiled glass and nary a nick. He told me a week later that he had been diagnosed with Parkinson's and he shaved my neck anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Best shave I ever had was from my barber of 15 years, back when I was 24.
    I had just the opposite experience, at about the same age. Was visiting my girl friend (now wife), didn't have a razor so went to a barber shop (had always wanted to try a barber's shave.) ABSOLUTE WORST shave of my life. I think he must've used the edge of a putty knife sharpened on the sidewalk!

I use one of those four or five multi blade razors. I use a brush and shaving soap after a shower and the blades stay sharp for about four months. Speaking of razors--Have you ever seen anybody do this? My dad used an old Gillette safety razor, the ones with the big blade with cutting edge on both sides. When it got dull, he would slide the blade into a drinking glass and putting some pressure on the blade with his finger slide the blade back and forth rotation wise in the glass, first one side of the blade, then the other. He also had a leather razor strop to put a finished touch on the blade. (when the strop wasn't being used on my arse.) He said that he learned the trick with the glass during world war two.
    Brian Rupnow

Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    I use one of those four or five multi blade razors. I use a brush and shaving soap after a shower and the blades stay sharp for about four months. Speaking of razors--Have you ever seen anybody do this? My dad used an old Gillette safety razor, the ones with the big blade with cutting edge on both sides. When it got dull, he would slide the blade into a drinking glass and putting some pressure on the blade with his finger slide the blade back and forth rotation wise in the glass, first one side of the blade, then the other. He also had a leather razor strop to put a finished touch on the blade. (when the strop wasn't being used on my arse.) He said that he learned the trick with the glass during world war two.
    I've heard of that, renewing the edge on the side of a glass but have never actually tried it. After using the twin blade styles of one sort or another I got sick of both how much they were getting to cost and went back to using the old style double edge blades in an old Gillette adjustable butterfly type holder that I got second hand. I use the cheap store brand blades (10 edges for under 2 buck, I think) and they seem to work fine. They are so cheap that I don't go to any special effort to make them last, and get a week or so out of an edge. Still use either soap in a mug I've had since college, the bar of soap is about $1.5 and lasts for months, or some fancy specialty shop shaving soap in a can that is a bit more pricey but I buy it from a friends shop and like the way it works.

Someplace around here I have at least one of the holders that was my dads. I'll go back to using that if I can locate it.

Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    He was removing the mineral buildup from water drying on the blade. Same thing the strop will do. Prevent the water from drying on the blade and you won't have this issue

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by alanganes View Post
    I've heard of that, renewing the edge on the side of a glass but have never actually tried it. After using the twin blade styles of one sort or another I got sick of both how much they were getting to cost and went back to using the old style double edge blades in an old Gillette adjustable butterfly type holder that I got second hand. I use the cheap store brand blades (10 edges for under 2 buck, I think) and they seem to work fine. They are so cheap that I don't go to any special effort to make them last, and get a week or so out of an edge. Still use either soap in a mug I've had since college, the bar of soap is about $1.5 and lasts for months, or some fancy specialty shop shaving soap in a can that is a bit more pricey but I buy it from a friends shop and like the way it works.

Someplace around here I have at least one of the holders that was my dads. I'll go back to using that if I can locate it.
    I was told, by an old friend, that was a common thing back during the depression because no one had money for new blades.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

As a boy one of my friends' dad had a little device or fixture that mounted onto the razor strop for sharpening blades. It had a little bent finger hold on one side, and on the other side some sort of clamping device for the blade. You engaged that little finger hold with one finger, slide it rapidly up and down the strop, which made the blade on the other side flip, flop back and forth as the direction changed.

Haven't seen one since, nor did a cursory google search just now turn up anything similar.

I used to use a straight razor when I was younger.

Today, I use Bic disposable single-edge razors they sell for women to shave their legs. I can usually find them for $3+ for a dozen disposable razors. If they go up in price, I might haul the straight razors out and hone them up again.

The multi-multi-multi-blade razor nonsense has gone utterly insane. Four blades? C'mon, what marketing idiot thinks that men are a bottomless pit of money?

Quote Originally Posted by loose nut View Post
    So which one, Amish or dirt bag biker???
    Neither. I grew a full beard when I was twenty, shaved it off once when I was twenty one (mid 1972) and have never shaved it off since. There have been times when I would trim it back a bit, or maybe shave a bit on each cheek, but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by wyop View Post
    The multi-multi-multi-blade razor nonsense has gone utterly insane. Four blades? C'mon, what marketing idiot thinks that men are a bottomless pit of money?
    I once heard, or maybe read, "...no company ever went broke overestimating the gullibility of American shoppers!"

I sometimes wonder what my grand dad would think seeing people paying money for a bottle of water, when all the free water they could drink is all around them.
    ...I'm waiting for canned fresh air. It's coming to a store near you any day now.