Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Way, way OT: product comparison, razors

Default Way, way OT: product comparison, razors

Being one of the people on this planet that shaves, IE: not a Amish or dirt bag biker etc., I have to spend money on razors. I have been using the Fusion type for many years and thought they where doing a good job. Needed more and when at the local Walleyworld I went to buy some and got sticker shock. They use to sell packs of 5 for about $15CND or so and now they want almost $20 for 4. Seem kinda steep for razor blade cartridges. Next to them where the Wallyworld "great value" brand, 16 cartridges for $15CND. I decided to give them a try, even if they only lasted one quarter as long it would still be a better deal. Surprise, surprise they shave much better and hold an edge longer then the brand name. I am still on the first cartridge but I doubt there is that much difference between blades so I expect the rest to be reasonable good also. Fusion at $5 each or wally brand at less then $1 each.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

I also use Fusion and I too don’t like getting scalped. I tried the heavily advertised Harry’s. Wow it was like scraping it off with a flint rock! I’ll have to try the Wally blades. Years ago I worked in a flash bulb factory. Coming down the line were Sylvania Blue Dot premium price bulbs. At the boxing station some went in Sylvania boxes while others went in WT Grant chain store boxes for a fraction of the price!

Hi,

I'm still using my trusty Gillette Adjustable Slim I got 40 some years ago. I buy double edge blades by the 100 count for the cost of one Fusion razor. My old Slim is still a superior shave.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

I use disposable razors, the ones with the little wiper that pushes out shavings from behind the blades. Like 5$ for a bag of them, I use the same razor for 6 months before switching it out.

Merkur Futur razor and Feather DE blades.

(and learn how to shave properly...)
    Neil B.

I change blades every year or two. Blades don't get dulled by human hair. Blades do get dulled by dirt, so you have to use soap and water to get the dirt off your face before you shave. Another cause of blade failure is hard water drying on the blade. Hard water stains may not look too bad but when viewed under high magnification the crystal are many times bigger than the cutting edge of the blade.............so, either keep the blade from drying (store it in water) or dry it thoroughly (blow all the water from the blade, not towel drying it) or spray the blade with WD-40 or similar.

Cheap Bic disposables give a good shave, last for a couple of years and are inexpensive. Gilette disposables I've tried just don't shave very well.

Mike

As stated above I also figured that the Harrys was a great deal so also gave them a try without success. Worst thing I have ever shaved with, seemed dull right from the get go. Guess you get what you pay for. the only thing I can say is that I do get alot of shaves from the Fusion blades but atill it gets me every time I buy them, will for sure try the WallyWorld next time!!! Thanks for the tip.

That's been mystery to me; seems like razors and blades a few years ago just suddenly went from reasonable to "arm and a leg" expensive. ...they became such high dollar items you'll often see them in a case behind lock and key. Why? What prompted the sudden sky rocketing price?

I've always been a Schick man myself. When I went in the AF in 1966 we were given a complementary razor, Schick injector with a dial that changes blade angle. I used that for 20 or 30 years, and was perfectly happy. Then I tried the Schick Tracer, that uses a two-blade cartridge ...WOW! That is the best there is. But Alas, they've been discontinued for several years. I have found some NOS packs on Ebay from time to time, but they've gotten pricey, and now bear the Wilkinson name rather than Schick. They're good, but I don't think as good as the original Schick cartridges.

As stated above, by washing my face well with soap before applying the lather, I've gotten over a year's use from those Tracer cartridges. In fact I kept a record once, and I used the same cartridge for two years. When I finally changed I really couldn't tell a lot of difference, ...just felt it was time to change. Now that I'm retired I only shave when I feel like it, and if it's been several days I'll use a single blade razor, either that old original Shick injector, or a Gillette butterfly opening double-edge, or sometimes one of those Schick disposables with the little push-to-unclog features, that, as someone mentioned come in a bag of a few dozen for #$3.99. They too are good, but I don't care much for the puny handle.

I used to use the swappa-head kind, got up to about 3 blades, then someone bought out 4 blades... it got silly and I said I wouldn't be buying another one until they bought out a 12 blade.

Then I went back to basics (and so am not filling the landfill with chinese plastic sh*t)

I paid about $120 for mine many many moons ago. It should last my lifetime, then on to the grandkids.

Sticker shock no kidding. I buy them when I get a 30% coupon from CVS and stock up. Prolly got all Ill ever need.

Umm, dont be as blind as I was when buying these. Accidentally bought the "power" one. Dont know anything about that. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info