Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OT how to find an underground water leak?

I had my cousin witch my well, a life long farmer. He would located buried water lines on his farm.
    He shows up with 2 bent welding rods that would cross. He locates 2 seams of water and then sits on a bucket where they cross with a 60w light bulb extending out about 24" on another piece of welding rod. It starts to bounce. I mention this looks like an Ouija Board, he tells me to be quiet. The rod bounces up and down and after a while it moves side to side a few times and them resumes bouncing until it only moves side to side. He tells me there is 'some' water at 60' but the main water is 98'.
    So I hire a well driller. 10 gpm at 60' and 42 gpm at 100. Watched the whole thing with my own eyes, and I wasn't drinking. Being a complete smart ass at the time I called to tell him he was off 2'.
    He told me each bounce equaled a foot, which made me go a little crazy. Why a foot and not 10" or 15"? What if he used a 100w light bulb and not a 60w? What if he held that wire 2'' closer to his hands. The nearest well log is over a mile away and down 100' after that you need to go 2.5 miles away and down 150'. I live in the hills and the geology here is not exactly consistent. He did a well 10 miles from me -150' he told them water was 151'. How exactly do you practice?
    Paranormal? I don't think this qualifies but I would buy into hyper sensitivity, which in my mind is the only thing it can be.
    And no I don't believe in Sasquatch either.

I will never doubt witching, or at least things in the ground that have an effect on certain methods - years ago i was in a laundrymat and here's this guy walking back and forth on the floor with two rods, he's going over all kinds of angles of approach and every time he gets to this one section on the floor that he already had marked with an X his two rods cross...

I knew what it was about and asked him "does that really work"

he put them in my hands, told me how to hold them and then told me to walk slowly across the area, sure nuff as im approaching the X the rods start crossing, i stop - take a couple steps back and they start to uncross - i go forward and this time actually try to fight them some and no-go they start to cross...

now i don't know if it was the water or the pipe that was making things cross - I can't remember the details but it very well might have been a CI drain pipe but also think he had all the washers running and draining their water at the time, of course this was long ago so could have been clay pipe too...

im almost positive it was the drain pipe though not the feed... im pretty sure he told me that and almost sure the washers were all running and draining at the time.

So the witchers should go collect some of these cash prizes. Should be easy money for them. No one's done it yet.

Ed
    For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

My dad was a water witch. For years people would come from all around the area to have him locate a spot to dig or drill.
    But when he built our house he simply had the well dug where he wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnl View Post
    My dad was a water witch. For years people would come from all around the area to have him locate a spot to dig or drill.
    But when he built our house he simply had the well dug where he wanted it.
    Sorry but that sounds highly suspect to me lol at least if he felt it really worked for him enough to charge other people money for it why in the heck would he not witch his own property... ? something just don't "add up" --- or - maybe it does if it's just all about monetary gain. lol

We pressurized a line with air on a rainy day. Bubbles on the ground showed right where the leak was!

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    Sorry but that sounds highly suspect to me lol at least if he felt it really worked for him enough to charge other people money for it why in the heck would he not witch his own property... ? something just don't "add up" --- or - maybe it does if it's just all about monetary gain. lol
    Who said anything about money? For that matter, I never really said anything about the effectiveness of it. I just said people would have him do it for them. I don't think he ever charged anyone. I might have misled when I said "... people would come from all around.." It wasn't like dozens of people wearing a path to our door, or a waiting line!
    This was just a small, rural area, and it was friends and neighbors that he did it for. During my time at home, I was aware of him doing it maybe 8 to 10 times. He must've done it more before I was born, to have gained a reputation, and probably some more later after I'd grown and left.

Once I asked why he just had our well dug where he wanted; basically he said if you dig deep enough you're gonna find water just about anywhere. And that was certainly true in our area. Our well ended up about 35 ft deep, when they reached a point that the water was flowing in too fast to keep it pumped out enough to keep digging.

Now what he used was a limber, forked, green branch* (a longer, thinner version of a slingshot, or "flip" as we called them.) He had no explanation as to why or how it worked, but you could definitely see the long leg of the wood fork dip down at some point as he slowly walked back and forth over an area. He would grip the two short legs of the forked limb (i.e. the two uprights of a "Y') with his hands turned outward (thumbs down) and the free, longer leg of the "Y" tilted up (say 30 to 40 deg). He let me try it once (I was maybe 10 or 12 then); I don't remember for sure, but I don't think I got any reaction from the branch.

* - Traditionally this was a witch hazel branch, hence the term "water witch," but dad would use any suitable wood branch, as long as it was green and limber.
    Last edited by lynnl; 08-07-2019 at 02:39 PM.

I get it - that's way different then around here (colo.) where people can easily drain their life savings trying to find a good well,

if water is extremely plentiful then put it wherever is the most convenient to build, but why would not neighbors do the same thing,,,

I remember as a kid (edit; in mich.) we could dig a few feet with a shovel in our backyard and hit water lol

I have seen the willow branches used - or at least video's of it and some guys really seem to exaggerate the effect that's for sure...

a green branch might very well have some kind of "sixth sense" that we don't know about --- but it's not going to drop a guy to his knee's in what appears to be an epileptic seizure lol
    Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 08-07-2019 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

if water is extremely plentiful then put it wherever is the most convenient to build, but why would not neighbors do the same thing,,,

a green branch might very well have some kind of "sixth sense" that we don't know about --- but it's not going to drop a guy to his knee's in what appears to be an epileptic seizure lol
    "....why would not neighbors do the same thing,,,"
    Some, or maybe even most, did just that. As I said, it was a small rural area; wells weren't being dug every day.

Some people are just superstitious, or just want to stack the odds in their favor. e.g. "...bad luck to walk under a ladder.." Most of us will profess not to believe that, but we'll adhere to that philosophy anyway - why take chances, huh? Some were probably just romantic souls, and the mysticism appealed to them.

As for the green branch behavior: It wasn't a strong violent dip. What I didn't mention before was, as he gripped the two branches of the fork, thumbs down, palms outward, he would also apply a gentle twisting, torqueing force which made the long center stem want to tip up, and in so doing it created a sort of balancing point. so when the magical moment happened it would overcome that twist, and flip, or dip, downward.

That's the way I remember it ...it's been over 60 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ed_h View Post
    So the witchers should go collect some of these cash prizes. Should be easy money for them. No one's done it yet.

Ed
    Maybe the Witchers of Wells are similar to the psychic or medium type people that enforcement agencies recruit for locating lost or kidnapped children or people.I beleive that has been done numerous times over the years.Sometimes there no scientific explanation how it's done but who cares if it works it works.