Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adding to the crop of OT threads: Dad Brag!

Very nice, dad. She'll be inheriting the homeshop, no?

Congratulations from a fellow mech E phd!

Yes, some of us LIKE to get dirty!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tlfamm View Post
    Very nice, dad. She'll be inheriting the homeshop, no?
    Hi,

Unless it involves lasers, electron microscopes and vacuum pumps, she's probably not too interested in machining. Making Quantum Dots and Nano Particles is a whole 'nother level of engineering that most of us here are unaware of. And the last thing you want to do is get any dirt near any of this stuff. The last time I was in her lab this past winter, I noticed 2 pallets with 3 or 4 vacuum pumps on each of them. They were headed to the dumpster. Evidently making Quantum Dots is hard on vacuum pumps and they burn up rather quickly, lasting only a couple months or so. And it doesn't pay to fix them and then have them cleaned up for reuse. It's cheaper to just buy new ones.

She does have a 3d printer at home though.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Quite an accomplishment, any dad would be proud.

Hopefully she had time in those seven years for a little social life? I always figured the college time of transition from living at home to being out on your own were some of the most important years in a young person's life. Too important to miss, you only have them once, you can get a degree anytime.

Hi,

She's had enough time to meet and marry a young man. He does maintenance engineering for a living.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.