Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scrap Carbide

Default Scrap Carbide

I’m looking for a way to get the most out of my mostly scrap carbide. I have at least 60lbs of it. Most likely a decent amount of it, maybe 10-15lbs or more is still very usable and new cutters. Also, some of these are inserts. Maybe 5lbs are new In the box and another 5 are worn. The new inserts are out dated and not likely to sell, I’m guessing anyways.

I was given a bucket, and large tote bin, and a full Kennedy tool box by my neighbor who moved back to his home country. I had no idea that he was a retired machinist that was mainly in the mold making industry. He knew I had the mill, lathe, and other equipment in the garage and said I would get more use out of this than he will. Long story short…

After sifting through a lot of stuff, I have sorted what I want and have this pile of unwanted carbide along with my old used carbide. Is it best to go to a normal local scrap yard/junk yard? Or one of those mail in places that send the wooden box? I’ve also seen people selling 10lb or similar weight of scrap carbide on eBay…
    Anyone with experience selling off old carbide cutters that can recommend the best way to go about this.

Or… I would much rather barter. Let me know what you want in trade for my Carbide. There is a lot of new or very usable carbide here, could be a gold mine!

Call Buffalo Tungsten, they'll buy it ar a decent price.... dunno about the shipping tho.

Buffalo Tungsten Inc.
    2 Main Street
    PO Box 397
    Depew, NY 14043
    USA
    Tel: +1-716-683-9170
    Fax: +1-716-683-0471

best way to ship is USPS there is a youtube video of how to pack. I don't know what the price is now. but I shipped my scrap about 100 lbs a few years ago I think it was 12-14$ a pound. I looked around the web and called around all the local guys paid about 1/3-1/2 of what the buyers on the web paid so it paid to ship good luck Ken

so what do they do? grind it all up into dust again and press it into shapes?

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    so what do they do? grind it all up into dust again and press it into shapes?
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Yep.
    wonder if it gets tougher and tougher due to all the diamond grit lol

Actually it is crushed back in to micro grain powder, Buffalo Tungsten then sells the powder back to the companies that make inserts and milling cutters and switch contacts. No grinding involved.

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    wonder if it gets tougher and tougher due to all the diamond grit lol
    Afaik they crush/"mill" it instead of grinding.
    Sandvik also appeara to chemically dissolve the carbide, not sure if evevryone else process their scrap this way or if the crushed/milled carbide is used to make tools right away.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nPmGVPFITiY

Our local scrap yards take it. Was $13/lb last time I took some. price on scrap I ever got.