Thread: 3ph plug question

Default 3ph plug question

It's been awhile since I've been on here. Everyone was very helpful in me wiring my shop with 400a service and then building a 40hp rotary phase converter to power the equipment. I can't begin to describe how thankful I am for such a great resource and the opportunity to meet so many great people.

I've had a SnapOn MM250L for years. I dumped a bunch of money and time into it with new gun, plenty of consumables, TIG conversion, etc, etc. It's an older CK machine made just for SnapOn.

I could weld fine with it. The simple scratch-start TIG was a crude but decent learning tool, if only to learn why I needed to buy my new water-cooler Miller Dynasty. The MIG did it's job, but regardless of how well prepped the weld was, well grounded, how much I worked the adjustments and gas, it would never seem to stay in the sweet-spot between insufficient penetration and popping from too much heat. At least not the way I was used to from the years I've spent with company Miller and Lincoln professional-grade machines. A good machine makes a big difference.

I found a dude on Craigslist that had a Millermatic 300 that he couldn't use because his new shop doesn't have 3ph like his old shop. I talked him into an even swap. The MM300 has four drive roles like the 70-series feeders I used at the Nissan factory that I grew to love and the rest is similar to the MM252 I gave up years ago to try to save my house from foreclosure.

Okay, the question:

The MM300 specs as somewhere around 47amp 3ph 230v. My rotary can handle it. I just plan on running a plug straight off the RPC itself, since it's pretty close to the limit of what the RPC can do. I'm just wondering what kind of plug y'all run. All the rest of the stuff in my shop run single-phase Hubbell Twist-locks and all other 3ph is just straight-wired without the expense of plugs. None of the Hubbell line can handle 50amps except the 250v/600v plugs and the 250amp seems to refer to DC.

I know some of you are running 3ph plugs. What are you running?

I would wire that with a NEMA 15-50 straight blade configuration.

Twist locks at home. Work is pin and sleeve.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t touch a Millermatic 300 with a ten foot pole, your snappy is a much better machine(May the Miller folks forgive me)

You need an industrial grade receptacle and plug: If you want NEMA standard: http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...hazardous.html

If NEMA approval is not important: https://www.hubbell.com/wiringdevice...detail-section

RWO

I'll have to check. I've got a big plug for the forklift charger and that set my standard. When I got a Big Miller CV with a dual head feeder, I just went with that plug even though the welder is capable of pulling 100amps @ 240v.

Big loads get hard wired in or go with 480v and smaller amps. There have been a few factory auctions where there are special systems that are basically large buss bars.

12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
    Index "Super 55" mill
    18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
    7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
    24" State disc sander