Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T: Finding under ground (12") PVC water line? Is there a way.

Default O/T: Finding under ground (12") PVC water line? Is there a way.

I have an off shout of the copper main to some other copper and PVC. The PVC was fitted with a valve but it is missing. I need to find the buried main to install a new valve.

Deep Kimchi over here right now. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

If you can put your hands on a 200' steel electricians fish tape, and can get it into the line any locator firm can connect to it and send a signal through it. That would give you very accurate location. Good luck!

Cat

I went to a lot of trouble to find my sewer connection. I did a lot of probing with metal rods. With PVC you will have to be careful, but it can be done. And if your soil is hard, you may have to water it with the sprinklers to soften it up. With a 12" pipe, you can probe every 8 or 9 inches and you can't miss it. Is this a farm or industrial building? Would the city/county have information?

Logic is on your side. If you are in the city, then the water department can, at least, tell you where their main line is. In the country side, talk to the county. You know where the water is going in your building or possibly outside, that should narrow it down somewhat. Perhaps the city/county will also have some records of where the tie-in is and you can follow it from there. Or try to follow it out from the house or other point of use if you can find where it enters. And you probably have a meter so that is a definite starting place.

The reason why I had so much trouble finding my sewer connection was that I was assuming it was in the front. But it was in the back yard instead. When I finally realized that and knowing where the rear-most bathroom was, I found it in two or three probes. Logic. And I should have talked to the city first; that would have saved a lot of work.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Now you know why these pipes are supposed to be laid with a warning tape over them containing a tracer wire, Find it at one point, no trouble at all with a detector to follow the pipe.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Your PVC comes off copper but according to the thread title its 12" PVC. How big is the copper for goodness sake?
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

He must have meant 1/2 inch pipe. You could try a sensitive listening device. Have some water running and move the mic around the ground till you find where it's loudest. Never tried it myself but I've heard of it being done.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

How deep?
    Andy

Easy, just use a 13" long spade.

Gonna have to dig for it.

Get someone with a drone to look down on your property. Back filling is seldom perfect and you can often see the path clearly from above.