Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT:HIt by a car while walking!

Default OT:HIt by a car while walking!

I was in town this morning and had several errands to run. While walking from the bank to the drug store I stepped off the sidewalk to go over to the drug store. BAM ! Damn electric auto ran into me. I was in a Fussganger(pedestrian) zone so technically I was not at fault. The driver and his wife were really shocked but I tried to reassure them that it was my fault for not actually looking and only listening. They were a lot more upset than I was for sure. Just a little bruising on my knee but nothing serious. The good thing is that is my bad knee so nothing lost there!
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

From the tone of your post I take it that you did not pursue legal action. If so I admire you for this as this did not seem to be a serious injury. In the U.S.A. this would have most definitely resulted in a lawsuit. Sorry this happened to you, but glad that it was not more serious.

Clumsy bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by DATo View Post
    From the tone of your post I take it that you did not pursue legal action. If so I admire you for this as this did not seem to be a serious injury. In the U.S.A. this would have most definitely resulted in a lawsuit. Sorry this happened to you, but glad that it was not more serious.
    No I won't pursue any legal action. It was my fault for being stupid and not looking. I don't care what the law says about this I was at fault. I actually joked with him that I was glad to not have to wash his car to get the blood off of it.

I told him to have a nice day and went on to the drug store.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Those damn things are so quiet I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. Good that you are okay. Lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Clumsy bastard.
    Ditto.

The order is and always has been; STOP, LOOK and LISTEN!

Last week a guy got ran over and killed in our local shopping market parking lot, old guy behind the wheel thought he was going for the brake and hit the gas,,, pedestrians always have the right of way in parking lots, but BF's attitude is correct if not just for a survival tactic,,, who gives a damn if you had the right of way and your crushed like a bug, pay attention no matter what,,,

if a car is parked and running with someone behind the wheel do you walk between the front end and another vehicles back end with only a couple feet of space? who cares who has the right of way if you could end up being crippled the rest of your life, I try to avoid it if I can or at least leap through no matter how "silly" it looks to other people....

we got a world full of victims due the fact that all they consider is if the "law" is on their side,,, perfectly willing to be in a wheel chair the rest of their lives as long as they have the backing to sue,,, people need to think, no amount of money can ever compensate you for your mobility, or life for that matter...

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    Ditto.

The order is and always has been; STOP, LOOK and LISTEN!
    And recognize the fact that the last thing on the list is getting harder to do so rely on the first two more, in fact BF stated it was an electric car, they can be deadly quite in situations like this,,, they all should be equipped with speakers that make engine sounds and ones that create change under more power like increased load sounds and also RPM's to match - some have this - most don't...

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    And recognize the fact that the last thing on the list is getting harder to do so rely on the first two more, in fact BF stated it was an electric car, they can be deadly quite in situations like this,,, they all should be equipped with speakers that make engine sounds and ones that create change under more power like increased load sounds and also RPM's to match - some have this - most don't...
    Drove a BMW I.8 that has just that! Impressive vehicle. 123 in seconds!!

Sid

Well I have a hybrid vehicle and I'm always conscious of the fact that people won't hear it, when I'm operating near pedestrians. I'm moving more slowly and watching for their reactions