Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: OT:HIt by a car while walking!

I'm glad your not hurt. Barrie is full of electric motorcycles this year. Non of them have tried to run over me, but it's weird when I'm driving with my windows down and a bike passes me. No noise, and that just feels wrong.--Brian
    Brian Rupnow

Id go as far to say part of the reason it "feels wrong" is the shock factor to begin with - we already know their hard to see sometimes, so now get rid of the other sense and sometimes when they go bye you had BOTH no visual OR audio from them,,, basically out of senses for what keeps "them" out of harms way... that's why I brought motorcycles into this, not the exact same argument - but the exact same point... sound matters.

When in the US Navy visiting New Zealand n the 70's I stepped off the curb in front of a big red electric bus. I had stopped and looked but looked the wrong way since they drive opposite the US. Fortunately I saw it and stepped back before it squished me. Nothing but tire noise when it went by.

Tom

Any one who drives a car knows that even a loud motorcycle has to be right on top of you before you hear it. Is there any data to suggest that BMW and Goldwing drivers are hit a higher rate than Harley drivers?
    I was walking down 42nd street in New York city once and watched a pedestrian step into the street to get around a crowd and get knocked on his butt by a car. The driver never got out of the car and pedestrian got up, dusted himself off and went on his way. New York City....

Quote Originally Posted by danlb View Post
    That's a bit of a red herring Boomer. Nothing in that accident has anything to do with blind folks or electric cars or noise. By your argument the guy should have been alerted by sound of the racing gas engine and avoided it.

We had a similar incident here when a woman did the same and killed two people 50 feet inside a building. The front of the building was glass and she went through two interior walls. Interestingly, as a side effect of the crash investigation they moved the handicap parking to a spot where there is a concrete retaining wall between the cars and the building.
    A few years back the WaWa convenience stores suddenly added large steel bumpers at the entrances to every store, they now have around 1000 stores. Id bet that wasnt due to random accident or two.

Quote Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post
    Any one who drives a car knows that even a loud motorcycle has to be right on top of you before you hear it. .
    You may very well have a point (to some degree) at highway speeds but not so in urban area's where most motorcycle/car accidents occur, the slower the speeds the more safety factor with louder pipes, im not saying "open headers" (like so many harely riders seem to be) - I think those are obnoxious... im just saying what a stock performance motorcycle has in comparison to an all electric... yes it is a proven factor.

Is the car okay?

If this sort of thing were common enough in America,the law suits would last for years followed by legislation mandating all EVs have ice cream truck bells mounted on the wheels.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience View Post
    Is the car okay?

If this sort of thing were common enough in America,the law suits would last for years followed by legislation mandating all EVs have ice cream truck bells mounted on the wheels.
    The car suffered no damage!!!! I am really sore today and quite lame.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience View Post
    It is common enough. It is a done deal, as posted earlier.

Me, I'm going to get an EV and modify the warning. So when I back out of a parking space, it will blast the sound of a top fuel dragster launching. Or maybe a giant steam locomotive.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48815968

The risk will soon pass ... driver less cars will rule.