Thread: O.T. Radiator Fin Straightening

Default O.T. Radiator Fin Straightening

I recently helped install a new air conditioner at a friends house and while doing so I noticed that some of the condenser fins had been damaged and laid over flat during shipment. Fortunately I had a fin comb like the one pictured below, however none of the pitch counts on it matched the unit at hand.

I have seen other types of fin combs that resembled a brush with coarse wires that would conform to various fin spacings however I did not have one. But I did have a common file card that I thought may work just as well since it would likely conform much like the dedicated one below.

The file card worked great!
    Anybody that needs to do this job should try it it, as with a little bit of finesse and technique you'll will be pleasantly surprised at the results. All you need is a few inches of undamaged fin area in order to give the file card a pattern or pitch to replicate and you're good to go. I had sections that were flattened closed that now look new.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

nice - good idea Willy - nothing wrong and everything right with going for that optimum efficiency...

I usually just grab a firm bristle brush. I don't have an actual radiator comb.
    Andy

That is a file card..?
    The ones I have have a brush cut.. like me at Camp Vernon in 1970 (Willy knows what I mean)

Yeah Frank, I know what you mean, heck the herbies are still here to this day to remind me. LOL

The fin comb pictured is another version that I didn't have so I assumed a file card, pictured below would work as well, and it did.
    Like Andy mentioned a firm bristle brush probably would have worked as well.

Now that looks like a file card..
    Yeah I did a stint on Herbie Hill, and one in the main barracks..

just grab a beer, a lawn chair, and a thin popsicle stick. Nice way to spend a sunny afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    Now that looks like a file card..
    Yeah I did a stint on Herbie Hill, and one in the main barracks..
    And look how well you've assimilated into mainstream civilian life and became a well respected and productive member of society.

Quote Originally Posted by OaklandGB View Post
    just grab a beer, a lawn chair, and a thin popsicle stick. Nice way to spend a sunny afternoon.
    Once I grab a cocktail and a lawn chair the popsicle sticks will become a lethal weapon as far as straightening radiator fins is concerned.