Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First world problem... Laptop speaker problems.. Surprising not OT..

Default First world problem... Laptop speaker problems.. Surprising not OT..

My laptop which is pretty much attached to my hip started having problems.. The speakers seemed to be getting quieter and quieter. Thought I was losing my hearing... Finally took the back off to make sure everything was plugged in.

The swarf was stuck to the speaker - causing the speaker element to get sucked down to the magnet. I used a small strong magnet to pull the swarf off. Now it seems to be back to normal.

lol happens on my cell phone all the time - damn shop crud.

Hi,

Yep, I have ruined countless pager speakers over the years with little bits of metal swarf.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

I can understand those little pieces getting in through holes in the outer housing, but just how did that great big, honking chip on the right get there? Did you add it for the photo?

I would leave the laptop at the shop desk while working.

Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post
    My laptop which is pretty much attached to my hip started having problems.. The speakers seemed to be getting quieter and quieter. Thought I was losing my hearing... Finally took the back off to make sure everything was plugged in.

The swarf was stuck to the speaker - causing the speaker element to get sucked down to the magnet. I used a small strong magnet to pull the swarf off. Now it seems to be back to normal.

Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

the slots are directly below the speakers and are more than big enough for substantial shavings to get through..

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    I can understand those little pieces getting in through holes in the outer housing, but just how did that great big, honking chip on the right get there? Did you add it for the photo?

I would leave the laptop at the shop desk while working.

I cover the speaker slots with painters tape

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    I cover the speaker slots with painters tape
    Red Green?

as in the handy mans secret weapon? duct tape would make mess.....just green painters tape

I have to semi-regularly clean out the lightning port for the plug to be able to go in all the way, it collects a bunch of crap from being in my pocket, which gets packed into the end of the port when I plug it in for charging, and eventually it builds up enough to prevent the plug from going in enough for the pins to connect.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_r View Post
    I have to semi-regularly clean out the lightning port for the plug to be able to go in all the way, it collects a bunch of crap from being in my pocket, which gets packed into the end of the port when I plug it in for charging, and eventually it builds up enough to prevent the plug from going in enough for the pins to connect.
    Bashing Apple is becoming a favorite pastime of mine