Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Southbend spindle question.

Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    Wow, now why go to all this bother and trouble, with a totally worn out Boat Anchor ?

Unless your getting this lump of worn out scrap metal for free, why even bother with repairing this outdated piece of crud ?
    You dont say where you live. ?Maybe you are spoilt for choice. Where I live you either buy a chinese lathe of dubious quality at a ridiculous price or you buy a second hand machine and fix it up.
    There is a learning curve to any trade /hobby.My first lathe I purchased was a worn out Chinese disaster.My second lathe was a well looked after,well tooled Emco v13. I paid my learning curve lesson.

My mate will learn all his lessons on this lathe and will be wiser on his next purchase.But in the meantime he will have fun bringing back to life an almost eighty year old lathe.
    Unfortunately he never picked up what may be obvious to someone who is familiar with lathes. He paid $130 for this lathe.

We are not all blessed with living in the US or Europe where everything is available. I have seen videos of people making things on a lathe that consisted of a couple of blocks of wood, a couple of nails (centers) and a length of rope. Count your blessings. I will offer whatever help that I can.

Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    Wow, now why go to all this bother and trouble, with a totally worn out Boat Anchor ?

Unless your getting this lump of worn out scrap metal for free, why even bother with repairing this outdated piece of crud ?
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    The actual size of the tumbler gears does not matter as long as they are both the same diameter and tooth count.
    Actually, they don't have to be the same size. There are a number of SB lathes where the two idlers are actually different sizes.

There is a great deal of misinformation in this thread, from people that have never actually worked on the specific lathe. I recommend you stick with the email list where you asked this same question recently, or visit the SB forum at PM.

allan

Quote Originally Posted by kitno455 View Post
    Actually, they don't have to be the same size. There are a number of SB lathes where the two idlers are actually different sizes.

There is a great deal of misinformation in this thread, from people that have never actually worked on the specific lathe. I recommend you stick with the email list where you asked this same question recently, or visit the SB forum at PM.

allan
    The SB forum at PM is a great resource (I usually go there first...)

Quote Originally Posted by kitno455 View Post

allan
    I admitted to my mistake in post #23. You're late to the party....