Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diagnosing car issue - AC blower

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    RB heed the above warning,,, also ask yourself if it was just because an excessive draw issue then why just one connector failing in a meltdown? takes two to tango with DC so why no other connector meltdown?

connectors are a funny thing, if even slightly weak they will heat, the heat takes away from the spring loading of the clips, this then makes the connection even weaker producing yet more heat, it snowballs out of control till you see something like what your showing,,,

not saying it's the only culprit as other things can help to push it over the edge for sure but again somewhere also in that connection harness your showing is the negative (or positive depending which is melted in the pic) so why no issues with it? there is definitely a weak link with the one connector in the pic... sometimes this weak link can be so weak that in theory it's really the only problem...
    That burned connector is ohms law at work. There was a bad connection at that point, probably loose fitting. A bad connection has some resistance which causes a voltage drop. Take voltage drop across a resistance and you have power, aka heat in this case. Beyond just replacing the blower, that bad connection has to be fixed. You could cut and remove just the one wire from each half of the connector and use a butt spice for a easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    That burned connector is ohms law at work. There was a bad connection at that point, probably loose fitting. A bad connection has some resistance which causes a voltage drop. Take voltage drop across a resistance and you have power, aka heat in this case. Beyond just replacing the blower, that bad connection has to be fixed. You could cut and remove just the one wire from each half of the connector and use a butt spice for a easy fix.
    Got a new blower tonight AND a new connector to splice into the wire harness. I'll actually solder it inline and use heat shrink tubing

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Got a new blower tonight AND a new connector to splice into the wire harness. I'll actually solder it inline and use heat shrink tubing

Both halves of the connector I hope !

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    Both halves of the connector I hope !
    Other half is the speed resistor which is new, even though the old one tests fine, that one spade tab is discolored, so will use new one, because ohms law.

Not to burst anyone's bubble about the almighty automobile but in one form or another their all crap nowadays,,, and believe me - I know cars --- and trucks...
    Amen!

And to add insult to injury one has to laugh at how problems detected after the fact are handled.
    RB211's overheated HVAC electrical connections reminded me of a recent GM issue of a similar nature. In this particular case the overheated electrical connector's insulation can ignite leading to a fire in the headliner.

The fix?
    Remove the insulation! LOL
    Don't address the root cause, fix the symptom...much cheaper.

https://www.automotive-fleet.com/316...control-module

General Motors is recalling an estimated 2016-2018 30,289 Chevrolet Express full-size vans and GMC Sierra pickups equipped with a single, manual, rear climate control module for potential overheating problems.
    Specifically, if the temperature is set to maximum heat or the mode knob is set to maximum floor vent and an electrical short happens, components housed inside the module may overheat. In the event of overheating, there is an increased chance of a fire in the vehicle’s headliner.
    To fix the problem, G.M. will notify owners, and dealers will remove the electoral insulation from a wiring connector within the module, at no cost to owners.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Amen!

And to add insult to injury one has to laugh at how problems detected after the fact are handled.
    RB211's overheated HVAC electrical connections reminded me of a recent GM issue of a similar nature. In this particular case the overheated electrical connector's insulation can ignite leading to a fire in the headliner.

The fix?
    Remove the insulation! LOL
    Don't address the root cause, fix the symptom...much cheaper.

https://www.automotive-fleet.com/316...control-module
    But Willy, it is at no cost to the owner.
    (Such a deal..., huh)

Boy that takes the cake,,, "honey --- im driving back from work and the vehicle smells like wires burning up and it's getting smokey in here" -------------------- "Sweet's ------- I already told you it's totally normal, it's just the rear climate control module burning up but it's ok, they already fixed the problem, now please don't bother me with this anymore - im organizing my sock drawer"

Boy that takes the cake,,, "honey --- im driving back from work and the vehicle smells like wires burning up and it's getting smokey in here" -------------------- "Sweet's ------- I already told you it's totally normal, it's just the rear climate control module burning up but it's ok, they already fixed the problem, now please don't bother me with this anymore - im organizing my sock drawer"
    It's even more exciting in an airplane

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    It's even more exciting in an airplane
    That raises a question: Is smoking banned for even crew members on non-passenger carrying airplanes nowadays. ...i.e. banned by some regulating agency, not the owning company e.g. FedEx or DHL, etc.

I'm guessing no ban for private owner in his own plane.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnl View Post
    That raises a question: Is smoking banned for even crew members on non-passenger carrying airplanes nowadays. ...i.e. banned by some regulating agency, not the owning company e.g. FedEx or DHL, etc.

I'm guessing no ban for private owner in his own plane.
    Different types of flying have different rules. I operate under part 121 which is more restrictive than part 91 which would be GA.
    Many of our customers do not want it, even on the ground with doors open, like the military.