Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things are different these days with 3D printers. .

Default Things are different these days with 3D printers. .

So I was on Instagram and a guy was showing dimple dies.. printed.
    And one of the comments was great when can we buy them, they are so pricey.
    So I left a comment.... they are pretty easy to whip up if you have a lathe, and how long will these printed ones last ?
    And then the guy replied to me that not everyone had a lathe. ..... and I was thinking.. not everyone has a printer.

But..... and I found this strange the guy went on to say the dimple dies are a consumable. . And I thought jeez really.. I guess its a changing world.. dies with no expectancy to turn out a lot of work.. New to me..
    The other thing no pilot nub or drilled hole, I think, people were asking how you line them up..

I guess its a different world.. think I will stick with steel dies.

You know, as I told WildcatFan, I don't really have many parts to show off that I machined, 95% of the parts I need are 3d printed. They are surprisingly strong, and far cheaper to make.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Did you make metal forming dies ?
    I am thinking they may take a few hours to print ? But i dont know if you could get a hundred presses out of it, half of that or more than 100.?
    I mean even if you print them yourself , it still cost something.
    Last edited by 754; 08-11-2019 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    Did you make metal forming dies ?
    I am thinkingbth3y may take a few hours to print ? But i dont know if you could get a hundred eyes out of it, half of that or more than 100.?
    I mean even if you print them yourself , it still cost something.
    No, I'd machine those.

Were they just round ones? I guess one advantage of printing is the ability to make complex shapes but then someone will say they CNC mill those. Anyone still cutting keyways with a cold chisel?

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    You know, as I told WildcatFan, I don't really have many parts to show off that I machined, 95% of the parts I need are 3d printed. They are surprisingly strong, and far cheaper to make.

So what do you do - play with lego's all day? lol quite the opposite for me in fact with the stuff I build everything has to be machined - in fact im not coming up with anything as of late that could have been 3-d printed...

Edit; to get an idea, in comparison to HT 0-1 tool steel, 17-4 H-900 SS, HT 1045 and even the high grade HT aluminum's that i can get by with in certain area's, there is nothing a 3-D printer can do for me, nothing, I might as well build my projects with silly putty, totally useless in my world.
    Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 08-11-2019 at 10:06 AM.

They were round ones, single lip iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    So what do you do - play with lego's all day? lol quite the opposite for me in fact with the stuff I build everything has to be machined - in fact im not coming up with anything as of late that could have been 3-d printed...

Edit; to get an idea, in comparison to HT 0-1 tool steel, 17-4 H-900 SS, HT 1045 and even the high grade HT aluminum's that i can get by with in certain area's, there is nothing a 3-D printer can do for me, nothing, I might as well build my projects with silly putty, totally useless in my world.
    Low stress parts, stuff around the house, my daughters wheel chair, R/C airplanes, etc. Unlimited uses. As for Legos, kept all of mine that weren't stolen, my son plays with them now. He is a builder.

so whats the point? some guy on the internet used the wrong material or tool for something? 3D printing opens up worlds of possibilities, but like any other tool, machine, technique the craft is in knowing what to use for when and what.

in fact im not coming up with anything as of late that could have been 3-d printed...
    The project list is too short, or you're going through an imagination dry spell. I find I can't keep track of all things I want to print.....if only the bloody Prusa wasn't such a POS and would work properly!

What I think the uninitiated probably don't realize, I didn't, is the fills. You specify the density, i.e. 25%, and if fills the interior of the part with geometric pattern that is really strong and oh so light. No other way to do that afaik. Here's a yoke I made for an ongoing project (soft bearing balancer). Weight reduction is important (minimize inertia) and its more than strong enough. short of a pattern and casting, who would want to make this from metal? (and if you did want to cast, look how easy it is to make a pattern)

Last edited by Mcgyver; 08-11-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    R/C airplanes,
    You hit on a subject matter where I could have used one twice in the past decade as I had two parts that took a long time to machine and were very delicate, one was my ejectable motor mount and the other was the ducted fan intake/nacelle that gave me an extra ounce of thrust needed to get my bird in the air,,, but - instead of having to learn an entirely new system and also spend all kinds of money I did not have - I created a way of holding/machining very fragile parts, if it's all learning and being practical along with it then im all for it. just would in no way be practical for me...