Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Things are different these days with 3D printers. .

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post

The project list is too short, or you're going through an imagination dry spell.

You may very well be right about the project list - I basically have tunnel vision on one main thing, but all kinds of other things come up along the way and yeah including keeping a household running... bottom line is I seem to get everything done i need to with just one machine, my Mill

I cannot list all iv fixed and/or created and im sure iv probably forgot about half of it over the years... I could never live without it and it's all I need, if I think about one machine and one machine only Iv already got it --- when I think of comparing anything to it not even a lathe comes close, when I think of comparing something like a 3-d printer it's not even in the ball park, your talking the difference between me getting everything done iv ever needed to get done to sitting on my hands for years and then finally saying "all right! I get to use my printer now"

no thanks,,,

but, I dragged your pic along with this post because that's damn nice work,,, and something machinery cannot achieve which is building something totally hollow... there is a use for them - im just not coming up with much of anything for the stuff i do or have been doing...

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    I dragged your pic along with this post because that's damn nice work,,, and something machinery cannot achieve which is building something totally hollow...
    thanks, that encourages me to show what hangs in part 1. This is the swing, and in it goes a vertically adjustable piece that holds what ever is being balanced, vertically adjustable via the dovetail. I put a ratchet like feature on the dovetail that mates with the vertical part. Its needs to be height adjust but not slip. There's a gib, will probably use steel. For the four locking screws acting on the gib, steel threaded inserts get pressed into the plastic holes with a soldering iron. Its so easy to create complicated parts that are extremely light and quite strong. Its not going to take huge loads, so you use it when the part doesn't need to. It also taps and reams beautifully.

ignore the the hieroglyphics on the top....lettering that didn't not turn out as expected

Last edited by Mcgyver; 08-11-2019 at 12:29 PM.

Just differences in the type of stuff we build, besides like I said earlier about my foamie RC plane to which I did find some alternative ways to machine things with a great outcome...

My main project has to use the strongest materials along with some good engineering to give them a sporting chance of survival to begin with,,,

and in fact while the above is just a sample every single component has to be built from good solid material and there is absolutely nothing a 3-D printer could do for me as like I stated before it would be just as useful as building my stuff out of silly-putty...

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    but, I dragged your pic along with this post because that's damn nice work,,, and something machinery cannot achieve which is building something totally hollow... there is a use for them - im just not coming up with much of anything for the stuff i do or have been doing...
    I like 3d printers, but as was mentioned you need to know the limitations as well as the strong points.

As for machining hollow parts, what's stopping you? One of the recent Home Shop Machinists magazines had a project where the author built an intake (or was that exhaust) manifold for a small engine. Since the passages within the manifold were hard to make he just machined it in two parts. The passages were milled in one side and the cover was made to fit and (IIRC) the parts were soldered together.

As for making a yoke for the bearing balancer, why could it not be made of a solid light weight metal instead of a bigger plastic one with a hollow or partial fill interior? I suspect that the graceful curves and bosses are there just because they were easy to add and add no required functionality. I could, of course, be all wet.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Well, I just machined some plastic for my car stereo install. In this instance, using my mill with DRO was a million times better choice than 3D printing...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I think certain things like RC planes is an excellent use for printing..
    I must say I enjoy creating things on the mill and lathe hope I get back to it soon.
    There are shortcomings yes, without CNC.. but part of the challenge for me is planning and roughing sequences, usually drilling holes and cutting with a bandsaw..... i cannot imagine not twirling knobs and laying out parts.

I think sometimes people have to look for stuff to make wether needed or not to justify having the machine.sometimes they have a poor conception of wether it's suited to the task or not..
    We already had short run consumable tooling... made of wood..
    Last edited by 754; 08-11-2019 at 03:00 PM.

For those of you who are not overly familiar with the term "dimple dies", like me;

https://www.trick-tools.com/Dimple-D...Flare-Tools-75
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!