Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC-Pathpilot won't load, help.

Default PC-Pathpilot won't load, help.

It's the weekend, which means Tech Support is closed.
    I have a TORMACH 770 running Pathpilot Software, and this morning it decided to not load.

The PC Tower is on, but the software isn't loading. The monitor only displays the TORMACH logo.
    Damn....

Any ideas??? HELP!

I hit the F2 button, and this pops up.

It means yer having a hard drive error of some kind, like if the power was cut accidentally or didn't get a clean shutdown. Run FSCK manually, or do whatever app you have for disk repair. Then do a clean shutdown and try again. By the by, thats an OS problem, not necessarily a tormach prob. All computers have some kind of fsck command if they're having an indigestion. The proper command would be "fsck -fy" (without the quotes) this tells fsck to automatcally fix whatever it finds.. most likely due to the date mixup.
    Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 08-11-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Nickel-City-Fab, you're a GENIUS!!!
    You fixed my dilemma. Thank you!

I manually typed in fsck, and the computer re-booted. All's well now.
    GENIUS, I say.

Quote Originally Posted by KiddZimaHater View Post
    Nickel-City-Fab, you're a GENIUS!!!
    You fixed my dilemma. Thank you!

I manually typed in fsck, and the computer re-booted. All's well now.
    GENIUS, I say.
    Glad it worked!

No, not a genius at all.... I started using linux back in 1996, which is what your system is. I have a lot of experience with it... back in the days of floppy disks etc. Now days running FreeBSD UNIX.

Take an image backup of your critical machine drive. That way, if you lose everything you can just re-image a new drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    Take an image backup of your critical machine drive. That way, if you lose everything you can just re-image a new drive.
    X2, this is good advice... Make backups! Speaking from painful experience with disk recovery. It's pretty easy to do with an external hdd or similar. In my case I just back up my data to a different physical volume and reinstall the OS from scratch, usually you would never know anything happened.
    Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 08-11-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    In my case I just back up my data to a different physical volume and reinstall the OS from scratch, usually you would never know anything happened.
    Sometimes that is easy, but often not so much. Finding original OS media, license key, getting the software re-installed, maybe with license keys for the CNC stuff. What a headache. That can take a lot of time. Plus we usually notice it when we need to use the machine. Hopefully the whole image backup means no license key hassles.

I like to treat a computer that controls a machine as a dedicated box, with pretty strict rules. No internet connection, no updates, etc. I want it to work exactly the same each time I use it. I transfer model files using a thumb drive. Though that can still carry malware.

I think thats a good policy for machine controllers, no internet for them. OP is running a variant of Linux, so there's no license key BS to worry about -- the tormach stuff is a version if LinuxCNC which anyone can download for free.

Completely imaging the original install onto another drive is the way to go, but it requires a level of tech experience that I don't want to assume everyone has. Not everybody is comfortable with the low-level tech. FWIW, he could do it with "dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/(external device)" and be done with it

Replace your CMOS battery too. Read the error -- there's important information there.

The superblock mount time is in the future. The PC clock is telling it the current date is Jan 1 2012.

A new battery and a reset of the time in the BIOS will keep it from returning.