Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 3 Phase motor noise?

I have shielded 3 phase motor cable connecting my my hitatchi vfd to 2.2kw Chinese spindle. I wonder if filtering would provide any benefit, or additional quiet? I also added a screw to ground the motor case to the vfd.

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    I have shielded 3 phase motor cable connecting my my hitatchi vfd to 2.2kw Chinese spindle. I wonder if filtering would provide any benefit, or additional quiet? I also added a screw to ground the motor case to the vfd.
    Hmm, I am now wondering if running my 1950's Bridgeport pancake motor off the VFD is a good idea without an output reactor?

Cheap peace of mind...

Or move to high end ($$$) VFD like ABB ACH500 series - the output inductors are built in.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53 View Post
    Cheap peace of mind...

Or move to high end ($$$) VFD like ABB ACH500 series - the output inductors are built in.
    The sad thing is since installing the RPC, I kinda want to run it off the RPC directly. But it is a step pulley so the VFD will stay.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53 View Post
    That's why they sell "output inductors" (common in industrial installations, commonly ignored by HSM ). .
    Come on now. It is an Machining forum. Not the lightning bolts of electricity Forum..
    Some of us don't get the electrical side. I m square with that.JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

[QUOTE=RB211;1252033]Hmm, I am now wondering if running my 1950's Bridgeport pancake motor off the VFD is a good idea without an output reactor?[/QUOT

My BP's pancake motor has been on a VFD since I got it in 1995. No reactor and no problems.

RWO

Page 2 of the document linked below talks about output reactors. It sounds like you should not need to worry about this if you motor wiring is less than 100 feet long.

https://www.rae.ca/wp-content/upload...r%20AN0032.pdf

Tom

Don't take that to the bank; there is no "one size fits all". In any case, if you want to "quieten" the motor (getting back to the the original post), simply increasing the carrier frequency until you can't hear it is often not the right choice, but an output reactor nails it. Do you really need it? Probably not in home shop environment, but it sure doesn't hurt.

Seeing we are taking about vfds, another issue ignored is the "noise" currents flowing though the rotor via the bearings to ground; significant decrease in bearing life. Output inductors help, there are bolt on brushes to retrofit older motors, and circular brushes at the shaft are now installed by some manfs on inverter duty motors. I'll dig out the info tonight.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 08-19-2019 at 03:35 PM.