Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Phase motor noise?

Hybrid View

Default 3 Phase motor noise?

I bought a Webb mill this spring and haven't use it much but do have it up a running with a Hitachi VFD. But I am wondering if it sound right? This is the first 3 phase VFD motor I have ever dealt with so I don't know. Seems to make a lot of strange electrical noise.

https://youtu.be/CYud1VyYHrA

As far as the vfd on the wall that noise sounds normal. I have a 5hp Teco on my horizontal mill and it has a fairly loud whine when running. A motor, 3 phase or otherwise should be pretty quite unless the bearings are bad.

Tom
    Last edited by flathead4; 08-11-2019 at 02:07 PM.

Both of you, and everyone else who has a whiny VFD setup like that needs to go into their manual and look for "Carrier Frequency". You need to turn it up. My new VFD goes up to 12000hz which is beyond what our ears can here. Turn it up until the motor starts to stall at startup then back off. You should be safe around 10000hz. If the motor stalls at a lower frequency, you need to run a shielded power cable to the motor from the VFD.
    Your VFD sounds like it is set at 5khz.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

The few times I've had a whining/whistling VFD/motor combo I have run auto tuning which has fixed it right away.
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Tried auto tune and it didn't change anything. Checked the carrier frequency and it was at 2.0, changed it to 10 and it is much better now, still a very slight wine but nothing like it was.

It's probably "better" because you can't hear it as well. Install an output reactor - that nails it.

Make sure you understand what changing the carrier frequency does. There are good reasons for it to be defaulted to low. Unless you have an inverter rated motor, err on the low side.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 08-11-2019 at 03:27 PM.

High frequency sound is very directional and it is easy to block with shielding. You might try some wood or foam shielding between you and the source to further reduce it.

Beware of high frequency sound you cannot hear. It will still damage your hearing.

Also, for people who start to go deaf? It is even more critical that they wear hearing protection to protect the hearing we have left. The loss of hearing does not help protect your hearing. Seems like it should but it does not.

Both of you, and everyone else who has a whiny VFD ...
    I checked mine and it is already set to 10 Khz. However, starting and stopping it few times leads me to believe the noise is coming from the fan. I got the vfd used several years ago in a trade and thought the noise was normal. Kinda hard to tell what's normal when you have only seen/heard one run.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Both of you, and everyone else who has a whiny VFD setup like that needs to go into their manual and look for "Carrier Frequency". You need to turn it up. My new VFD goes up to 12000hz which is beyond what our ears can here. Turn it up until the motor starts to stall at startup then back off. You should be safe around 10000hz. If the motor stalls at a lower frequency, you need to run a shielded power cable to the motor from the VFD.
    Your VFD sounds like it is set at 5khz.

You need to be pretty old or deaf not to hear 12khz whine. At 40 my hearing sensitivity seems to fall off at around 15khz.
    And I have like worst hearing amongst my friends. I remember when I was in twenties the CRT television line frequency whine @ 15.6khz was audible just barely when some of my friends were going nuts with the whine.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    You need to be pretty old or deaf not to hear 12khz whine. At 40 my hearing sensitivity seems to fall off at around 15khz.
    And I have like worst hearing amongst my friends. I remember when I was in twenties the CRT television line frequency whine @ 15.6khz was audible just barely when some of my friends were going nuts with the whine.
    Aviation hasn't been kind to my hearing