Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What the heck is this in my car?

Quote Originally Posted by thaiguzzi View Post
    Whats with the paranoia man?
    Unless you are employed by the Cartel, whats the biggie?
    Potential for 4A violations?

Quote Originally Posted by thaiguzzi View Post
    Whats with the paranoia man?
    Unless you are employed by the Cartel, whats the biggie?
    It has been common lately to install these on vehicles that are still being paid for,,,,, miss a payment and they can remotely disable the vehicle. Has nothing to do with the government, it has everything to do with sleazy business tactics. An entire national chain of "buy here pay here EZ loan" dealers has been found to be fraudulently abusing the practice... turns out they are owned by Blackrock... the same outfit that was charged with fraudulent foreclosure via robo-signing during the 2008 crisis,,, that is why I don't do business with scum. It is why I keep all receipts until the title is clear.
    Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 08-12-2019 at 11:54 AM.

Well to me it seems quite reasonable that if you refuse to pay for your car that you can't drive it....
    Seems much more economic to remotely disable the car than to send the repo man, resulting in better rates for paying customers.

On TV I see several ads by US insurance companies offering discounts for people who plug in such devices to record your driving activities. According to them, they are "helping you drive safer." Warm and fuzzy eh?

Now, you are in an accident and your "data" shows something that says you were a bit over the speed limit. You are being sued for seven figures. The plaintiff's car had no such device and he claims to be just out for a nice drive. Do you suppose the plaintiff's lawyer has the ability, in fact the right, to discover this information to benefit their case against you? Of course they do, its called "discovery" for a reason.

You'd better not get into any accidents, and if you do, you'd better not have done anything even questionable.

Most rental cars have them.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53 View Post
    Most rental cars have them.
    Heh.

"In 2013, 96% of every new car sold in the United States came with a black box, and as of Sept. 1, 2014, every new vehicle must have one installed."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...vate/20609035/

The point is that it was an aftermarket GPS tracker phoning home over a cellular network without my knowledge. I paid for the car outright in cash. Who ever installed it did a really good job. Must of been the original owners, but this thing was draining the battery constantly on. Could be the dealership never knew about it, and original owners didn't care about it.
    Just something I wouldn't expect to find in a car that I've been driving around for over a year.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Tinfoil hats may be coming back into vogue...

Here's a case where tinfoil would actually work. If your tracking device is like this one, wrapping it with aluminum foil or copper shielding tape will block the RF, especially if electrically disconnecting carries some kind of legal ramification.

An unrelated use of RF shielding would be to 'disconnect' remote key fobs from the linked vehicle. I saw where car thieves employed an amplifier to boost a car fob signal located in the house to allow them to simply push the start button to drive off.
    paul
    ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
    but you may have to

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    Heh.

"In 2013, 96% of every new car sold in the United States came with a black box, and as of Sept. 1, 2014, every new vehicle must have one installed."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...vate/20609035/
    "Black box" isn't "tracker"

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    The point is that it was an aftermarket GPS tracker phoning home over a cellular network without my knowledge. I paid for the car outright in cash. Who ever installed it did a really good job. Must of been the original owners, but this thing was draining the battery constantly on. Could be the dealership never knew about it, and original owners didn't care about it.
    Just something I wouldn't expect to find in a car that I've been driving around for over a year.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    I'm sure that it was a current drain on your battery so it's good that you found and removed it but I think it is highly unlikely that it was phoning home. The monitoring platform to track vehicles will likely cost anywhere from $15-$30 per month depending on the features that are activated, maybe more.
    Knowing some folks involved with fleet logistics is where I've gleaned this info, and like I mentioned previously these types of accounts are terminated pronto as soon as the vehicle is cut loose from the fleet. They have no vested interest in that vehicle anymore and are not likely to be paying monitoring fees for a service they no longer require.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories