Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What the heck is this in my car?

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Who ever installed it did a really good job. Must of been the original owners
    Professional pilot finds a transponder in his car. Loses his mind. Film at 11

I totally get it. It would have been hard to not terminate it with extreme prejudice.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53 View Post
    "Black box" isn't "tracker"
    I think many newer models do.

And then there are the smartphones and vast numbers of apps that share location info. There needs to be a cartoon with a guy excitedly yelling into a smartphone, "I found a tracker on my car!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    Professional pilot finds a transponder in his car. Loses his mind. Film at 11

I totally get it. It would have been hard to not terminate it with extreme prejudice.

I think many newer models do.

And then there are the smartphones and vast numbers of apps that share location info. There needs to be a cartoon with a guy excitedly yelling into a smartphone, "I found a tracker on my car!!!"
    Cell phone is a government sponsored spying device. I think it was used to find the DC Sniper, polled everyone that was in the vicinity of each sniping, found one person at every location. They will never admit to it, but I bet that's what they did.

If they ended up keeping their focus and just used it for stuff like that id be fine with them doing just that, just another way to harness the sheeple's info for picking out the stray threats as long as it does not cross into that all too familiar gray area which seems to be difficult to keep from happening,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    Heh.

"In 2013, 96% of every new car sold in the United States came with a black box, and as of Sept. 1, 2014, every new vehicle must have one installed."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...vate/20609035/
    My question regarding black box data loggers is who owns the data?
    paul
    ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
    but you may have to

Seems kind of odd that whoever put the tracker in the car didn't take it back out to use on another car.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Quote Originally Posted by ironmonger View Post
    My question regarding black box data loggers is who owns the data?

Automotive Black Boxes: Fact Versus Fiction
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Quote Originally Posted by bborr01 View Post
    Seems kind of odd that whoever put the tracker in the car didn't take it back out to use on another car.

Brian
    These types of trackers are relatively inexpensive, labor to exchange them probably puts them at a break even point. You or I might swap it out but when you consider the time it takes to process the entire exchange, which will include dropping the car off and picking it up afterwards, etc. etc. it's just not cost effective.

As I mentioned previously one of my pickups is a former fleet vehicle, you should see the left behind telemetrics it still carries.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Our 747's, and just about every airliner will phone home if you do something wrong, like start your taxi out without the flaps lowered to takeoff position. Will get a text message from company from the chief pilot with a phone number to call. Certain things are programmed to notify company via radio modem. Of course EVERYTHING is recorded and every so often they'll come on board, plug in a computer and download the data. EVERYTHING is recorded. This system is completely separate from the black boxes which don't record a fraction of what FOQUA gets.
    It's just like modern cars that record everything. Cars throw codes for system errors, we do as well, except it displays the info on our screens with EICAS, which prioritizes and groups the severity into four levels. The center console has a display much like a OBDI reader. Tells you detailed info of what failed, the hex data the sensor read, the fault code, etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I'm not particularly informed on things electrical. But, wouldn't the tinfoil wrap have to be grounded to block the RF?? Just asking if true or not.
    Thanks,
    Oaks.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Will get a text message from company from the chief pilot with a phone number to call.

This system is completely separate from the black boxes which don't record a fraction of what FOQUA gets.
    Talk about dreading a text. And I'm pretty sure I know how the crews pronounce "FOQUA".