Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When Buba works in a machine shop! warning painful to watch. (no blood)

Quote Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post
    Those might not be real coals but this guy is really using a plasma cutter over the lathe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2REYNaX9TY
    I once used my mill and my plasma cutter to cut a two foot long 1/2" thick plate in half. I rigged up a holder for the torch and totally covered the bed with steel sheets and carefully adjusted the variable feed on the X-axis to give a decent cut. My plasma cutter was a little undersized for 1/2" steel but with a very slow consistent feed at a set height it worked like a charm.

I'd bet my own money that guy doesn't own that lathe.

Our local water company decided that it didn't need an on-site fitting shop at the sewage works any more, so tried to sell the machines which included a Dean Smith & Grace lathe. Not getting offers better than scrap price they moved the DS&G to their main workshop and used it for metal spraying worn pump shafts which needed building up prior to regrinding.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Quote Originally Posted by Richard P Wilson View Post
    DS&G to their main workshop and used it for metal spraying worn pump shafts which needed building up prior to regrinding.
    Grinding? I used to help a friend out in his shop where thats really all he does, multi stage underground pumps.

After building back up with the flame spray we would turn them in the lathe.

I hated that spray job. That stuff is dangerous. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Not sure about the grinding, maybe turned them, but the poor old DS&G just rotated the shafts while they were metal sprayed.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

He is stress relieving the bed so the twist stays permanent and he can get his pack of smokes back out from under the corner foot.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

I didn't know where else to post this, so here.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Richard P Wilson View Post
    Not sure about the grinding, maybe turned them, but the poor old DS&G just rotated the shafts while they were metal sprayed.
    He used his big reed-prentice. He would completely cover the ways with the correct side of his welding blanket and spray then turn on the same machine. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info