Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethanol in pump gas damages 2 cycle engines..???????

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    This from Husqvarna, it echos universally what every other small engine manufacture says about ethanol use.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/...nol-free-fuel/

I should also add that I have seen it prematurely harden sensitive carburetor pump and metering diaphragms.

Like BCRider mentioned, yay for Chevron 94, it's all I use. No issues for years since it's use.
    I can attest to this.
    As a rule I no longer use ethanol in any of my small engine equipment.

JL............

Yup - what Willy says, the pump and metering diaphragms along with primer bulbs and fuel line is what I notice - i think iv even see it take out a gas tank or two by drying the plastic out and cracking it although that might have also been help from the sun,,, this stuff does seem to take time and running your engines totally out of fuel should help for winter storage some,

I had a carb go bad on my weedeater and tried to get it going twice but must have been a pin hole in one of the diaphragms as they were indeed not looking to great --- got a new carb with three primer bulbs a spark plug and an air filter for something like $8.50 free ship, bolted it on and it fired right up and did not even have to adjust the idle lol

If you do end up having to rebuild a carb because the rubber components have deteriorated, try and make sure any rubber components in it are Viton rubber, as it's the type that is most likely to hold up.

Wow! That may explain why my new Poulan saw would not start. It has about 3 hours on it last year. Needed it yesterday and it would not start PERIOD. I was NOT pleased.

Thanks to OP for bringing this up. It never occurred to me that the fuel would be an issue. Still aggravated that I may have to rebuild the carb on a brand new machine.

Best Regards,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rjs44032 View Post
    Wow! That may explain why my new Poulan saw would not start.
    Bob
    Properly pronounced "Pull'in" (i know - i have one of their chain saws lol)

Quote Originally Posted by rjs44032 View Post
    Wow! That may explain why my new Poulan saw would not start. It has about 3 hours on it last year. Needed it yesterday and it would not start PERIOD. I was NOT pleased.

Thanks to OP for bringing this up. It never occurred to me that the fuel would be an issue. Still aggravated that I may have to rebuild the carb on a brand new machine.

Best Regards,
    Bob
    I bet you can get away with just flushing it out and cleaning everything real good.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    I bet you can get away with just flushing it out and cleaning everything real good.
    he might mix in a new batch of fuel with a little sea foam or something like that and then just pump the crap out of the prime bulb - iv had luck being them around without having to tear into them, im always trying to avoid extra work like that...

my poor weedwacker runs on my premix chain saw fuel half the time because I don't want to run out and get separate gas, and yeah my weedwacks a 4 stroke lol I don't really give a crap - I don't get all high-performance when wacking weeds and if she should start spark knocking due to the lowered octane due to burning oil then so be it, I got the POS for free and there's plenty more where that came from...

I have a 4 stroke Stihl weed whacker that uses premix like a 2 stroke. There is no crankcase with oil like on a regular 4 stroke, so they lube it with the fuel mix. I put Stabil in all my small engine gas. Everything starts fine after sitting for a long time, but I will be going to non ethanol gas now that it's available locally.
    Last edited by Toolguy; 08-12-2019 at 05:46 PM.

WOW, where have you guys been hiding? Problems with ethanol gas have been around since, well, since they started putting it gas. Manufactures have changed over to more ethanol resistant components such as fuel lines and gaskets but ethanol still leaves a nasty residue. Fortunately the closest gas pumps to me are at a country hardware store/Stihl dealer and they have an ethanol free pump. I have been using it for all my 2 stroke equipment for many years and they all start right up after sitting all winter, run better too (or so it seems). Ethanol free is more expensive but well worth it.
    https://www.pure-gas.org/

Home depot also sells "ethanol shield" two stroke oil and gas additive - I use the two stroke oil as it's high grade synthetic and is supposed to protect the rubber components from the ethanol,,, really not that big of a whoop just take some precautions and if you don't toss a new carb at it once in awhile for dirt cheap...