Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethanol in pump gas damages 2 cycle engines..???????

There was a guy, i think in Iowa, that would only run non-ethanol in his chainsaw, one winter he set out in a snowstorm to get the non-ethanol fuel so he could cut up a bunch of firewood into smaller blocks then split it to keep his Wife and newborn alive through the storm,
    the station he normally went to converted to 10% ethanol so he had to go way out of his way,,, took him a half day, by the time he got back his Wife had severe frost bite and the newborn was as stiff as a brick... what's really sad to this story is parked in the garage was her hyundai that had a full tank of 10% ethanol blend that could have ran the saw herself but she stated later she did not want to run that junk fuel because her husband told her it would not even start the saw...

the baby was buried the next day and did not even have to be embalmed because it was still frozen solid... sad story...

Multiple layers of stupidity in that story.

1. With enough layers of blankets, or a good sleeping bag, and multiple layers of clothing, she could have stayed warm enough to avoid frostbite, and the infant would have been fine if she had held it close to her under the insulation.

2. She could have started the car and run it long enough to warm up (being careful to vent the exhaust out of the garage).

3. It's a good idea to have one or more kerosene heaters and a couple 5 gallon cans of fuel for emergencies. Kerosene keeps just about forever.

4. Always have at least a week's worth of dry firewood cut. And there is usually enough scrap wood and branches around that can be cut by hand and split with a maul. The exercise also helps keep blood flowing.

5. The stupidity of the guy speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by justanengineer View Post
    I don't currently own any small engines old enough for E10 to negatively affect, my oldest is a '97MY by which time manufacturers had the issues pretty well figured out. When fuel gets to be ~6-8 months old I either dump it, pump it, or run it low depending on tank size and refill with fresh as after that you're running the risk of causing issues if sucked into a fuel system regardless if its E10 or not. If its a rarely used item like my old snow machine then it gets topped off and STABIL added, then after two years I dump it, pump it, or run it low. For rarely used smaller two strokes the better pre-mixes are usually good for at least a year IME.
    The issues with ethanol in the fuel are still valid. Even if the parts in the carb are not affected any longer the fuel itself still ages badly and clogs things up when not used regularly. All of my own small 2 stroke yard tools are from well into the age of ethanol in the gas. But two of them that got fed with ethanol gasoline choked and needed the carbs to be stripped down and rebuilt. The parts that came out were not damaged near as I could see. But I did need to blow out more than one of the small orifices with carb cleaner and compressed air.

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    There was a guy, i think in Iowa, that would only run non-ethanol in his chainsaw, one winter he set out in a snowstorm to get the non-ethanol fuel so he could cut up a bunch of firewood into smaller blocks then split it to keep his Wife and newborn alive through the storm,
    the station he normally went to converted to 10% ethanol so he had to go way out of his way,,, took him a half day, by the time he got back his Wife had severe frost bite and the newborn was as stiff as a brick... what's really sad to this story is parked in the garage was her hyundai that had a full tank of 10% ethanol blend that could have ran the saw herself but she stated later she did not want to run that junk fuel because her husband told her it would not even start the saw...

the baby was buried the next day and did not even have to be embalmed because it was still frozen solid... sad story...

I find many aspects of this story difficult to believe. Not the least of which is that is was so cold that the baby was frozen solid the next day, yet a hole could be dug for a grave? I guess the ground wasn't frozen as solidly as the baby?

There was gas in the Hyundai? Well, why not just start the car and use the car's heater?

Just another urban legend.

IIRC the DOE(?) standard for gasoline shelf life is a minimum of six months. If you have to go beyond that a fuel stabilizer is a good idea.

The bigger issue that I've seen with small equipment is folks using fuel with not enough octane. Ethanol negatively affects the fuel's flammability and consequently, the tuning. The OEs usually recommend a fairly low (by American standards) 87'ish for pure gas but with E10 92 is usually necessary due to spark timing. 25 years ago, the first thing my grandfather always did troubleshooting others' saws was to dump the fuel, add fresh, and give it a good shake as in many cases somebody filled with cheap gas.
    "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Quote Originally Posted by Low Flyer View Post
    I find many aspects of this story difficult to believe. Not the least of which is that is was so cold that the baby was frozen solid the next day, yet a hole could be dug for a grave? I guess the ground wasn't frozen as solidly as the baby?

There was gas in the Hyundai? Well, why not just start the car and use the car's heater?

Just another urban legend.
    I see my joke did not go over too well, i thought it so crazy sounding that i might get a chuckle out of someone,,, I mean who buries a frozen baby the next day? you would at least want to warm them up before you let them get all cold again no?

in the words of Sir John, "i'll go get me coat"

I see my joke did not go over too well, i thought it so crazy sounding that i might get a chuckle out of someone,,, I mean who buries a frozen baby the next day? you would at least want to warm them up before you let them get all cold again no?

I apologize. I saw nothing in the original post that indicated it was intended to be a joke.

I'm not the only one.

Gil

If anyone should be apologizing it should be me - I should have said she had twins and one got frozen to her nipple during a last feeding, then maybe it would not have been taken out of context?

Some days folks are just a tad too literal here at HSM. It was pretty clear to me that you were being facetious. I mean to say if that was a true story, people in Iowa are way more screwed up than I might have ever imagined...

Quote Originally Posted by alanganes View Post
    Some days folks are just a tad too literal here at HSM. It was pretty clear to me that you were being facetious.
    The funny part is that I have not looked at any of this 5 page thread until just now.. and the frozen baby post was the first one I read.