Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethanol in pump gas damages 2 cycle engines..???????

Default Ethanol in pump gas damages 2 cycle engines..???????

Any truth to the title subject? Does using pump gas with ethanol damage 2 cycle engines like used in gardening equipment?

Clogs carburetors if it sits

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Dunno, maybe it depends on how the ethanol reacts with the 2-stroke oil.

Two small carbs I've had to rebuild say it does....

If you're a commercial gardener that uses the tools day in and day out I doubt that it's a big deal. But if you're a typical home owner like me and use these things just a few times a year during a specific season the alky in the gas really messes up the parts in the little pumper carbs.

And the local power tool place that deals with things like generators and gardening tools knew the issue well. I mentioned that I had only recently learned about the alcohol issue as I handed him the two carbs to ensure I got the right rebuild kits. He looked up at me with a straight face and said "the only place alcohol belongs is in the drink after the work is done".

Up this way Chevron gas stations still have a 94 octane pump which has no alcohol in it. It's the cheapest source of alcohol free gasoline so far.

This from Husqvarna, it echos universally what every other small engine manufacture says about ethanol use.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/...nol-free-fuel/

While E10 fuels are approved for small engine equipment usage, it is not recommended, especially in handheld products. Gas with ethanol separates while being stored in your gas tank. The 2 stroke oil remains bonded to the gasoline but not to ethanol. Thus, the ethanol and water part of the mixture contains no oil for engine lubrication. This leads to poor lubrication, performance issues and costly repairs over time.
    I should also add that I have seen it prematurely harden sensitive carburetor pump and metering diaphragms.

Like BCRider mentioned, yay for Chevron 94, it's all I use. No issues for years since it's use.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

I'm not disagreeing with anything posted, but will note that my McCulloch weedeater (maintaining 3 acres) is about 25 years old and I have never even had to open the carb, or do anything else for that matter, with the exception of a few primer bulbs and fuel lines once or twice. I run super unleaded (with ethanol), Stabil and synthetic oil.
    It's going to break my heart when that thing finally dies.

Ethanol gas seems to cause plastic and rubber products in fuel lines and carbs to deteriorate. My weed eater seems to need a new line set every few years. One thing recommended by my local small engine shop is to use 89 octane. Still has ethanol, but is cleaner than 87 octane.

Sarge41

I don't use ethanol gas in anything that isn't run regularly. For me, the typical failure mode with ethanol is the float valve needle will get sticky.

A friend of mine always used to use ethanol fuel in his tractors and small engines on his acreage and they all ran poorly if they sat unused for awhile. I convinced him to switch over to ethanol free gas in the small stuff at least that he didn't run very often and he did with the expected good results. He was impressed enough with it that he switched over to ethanol free gas for every gas engine in his yard. A little more expensive to buy but the elimination of the time, money and aggravation to repair carbs (not to mention no more engines running crappily) more than made up for the initial higher cost by a huge factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with anything posted, but will note that my McCulloch weedeater (maintaining 3 acres) is about 25 years old and I have never even had to open the carb, or do anything else for that matter, with the exception of a few primer bulbs and fuel lines once or twice. I run super unleaded (with ethanol), Stabil and synthetic oil.
    It's going to break my heart when that thing finally dies.
    You're likely using this tool quite regularly. So the problems don't occur because the gas in the lines and carb doesn't have time to change and plug things up.