Thread: goose neck

Default goose neck

I need to hang a couple lights from an overhead bar, and be able to move them about to some extent. They need to hang about 30 inches lower than the bar, and it would be good if I can move them about a foot or so in any direction, and have them stay there. Thinking of using corrugated gas line as a goose neck. I know you can bend this stuff and it will stay put. The light is not heavy at all, and it probably won't be moved about much- I'll put a curve in it to allow changing the height, and I'll cover it with a braided cloth or something like that. Sound reasonable?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Loc line is where I'd go...
    Or an actual microphone gooseneck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Quite a long time back Evan posted a thing for doing this that I have found useful on a few occasions. You simply make up a bundle of soft iron wire and twist it together. Put it in any flexible outer sleeve you like for cosmetic purposes. Tie wire of the sort used for tying rebar is ideal and is cheap and generally available.

The photos are gone, but there is a good description here:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...asy-and-rugged

The flexible gas line is not really made for repeated flexing and will probably break after some usage in this manner. The plastic Loc Line used for coolant is a much better choice and it can support a fair amount of weight. It will stay put when moved to a new position.

And there are professional devices for things like this, but they may be somewhat expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by shampine1 View Post
    Loc line is where I'd go...
    Or an actual microphone gooseneck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Not sure of how much power you want in these lights but you might consider using Ikea Jansjo lights. They are not the full 30" long that you want but they do come with a roughly 18" long gooseneck built in. But they are not super bright and are really at their best when there isn't much distance from the light to the work.

I've got one that travels on my lathe carriage so it always lights up the cutter. And two on my mill so they sit to either side and light up the cutter area with no shadows. Out to around a foot and a bit away they work just lovely.

If you try that soft iron wire bundle trick include a few extra short strands at the fixed end with graduated lengths so the flex occurs away from the solid base. That should aid with reducing any fatigue and eventual breaking right where nothing can flex.