Thread: Brown & Sharpe 599-579-4 caliper repair

Default Brown & Sharpe 599-579-4 caliper repair

Does anyone know how to remove the housing of this caliper to get to the movement. I have had my 599-579-3 apart a few times and it has three screws holding the housing. I can't find any relevant info at LI Indicators for the -4 model. On the later models it is pried off, and I would guess that is the same here, but I don't want to wreck anything. Stu

You can buy a new one for $134.00
    https://www.amazon.com/Brown-Sharpe-.../dp/B01L5NTZFQ

Send me a shipping address and I will give you 2 working Mitutoyo Digimatic 6" calipers that I have not used in years. Will post a picture tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bented View Post
    You can buy a new one for $134.00
    https://www.amazon.com/Brown-Sharpe-.../dp/B01L5NTZFQ

Send me a shipping address and I will give you 2 working Mitutoyo Digimatic 6" calipers that I have not used in years. Will post a picture tomorrow.
    Thanks for the offer, but I have had Digimatics in the past and much prefer dial calipers. Nothing wrong with them just a personal preference. Stu

Not being able to see the other end of the caliper, I would guess that there is a screwed on end plate which can be removed. The rack will also have screws holding it on. Then you should be able to slide the moving jaw right off.
    Wait for further comments before proceeding, in case my advice is wrong.
    Last edited by old mart; 08-13-2019 at 08:34 AM.

One is missing the battery cover (in the chips) but works well, the other is much newer.

I also have the plastic boxes that they came in, I know this is an important feature for many.
    Far to many plastic boxes in fact.

First shipping address gets them

Quote Originally Posted by Bented View Post
    First shipping address gets them
    PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Does anyone know how to remove the housing of this caliper to get to the movement.
    probably safe to assume if there were obvious screws on the other side it'd be apart by now....you may have to slide to slide it off the beam in search of a screw behind the beam. Is the stop held on with screws or something more permanent (iirc Mit fixes them with little plastic rivets , B&S I think are better with screws but cant 100% remember ).

I found a video showing that the housing does indeed pry off.

Stu

Those "how to" you tube videos are really useful.
    Bented, I seem to have seen Mitutoyo battery covers in their spare parts lists.