Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vacuum fitting adaptor

Quote Originally Posted by alsinaj View Post
    Greetings! I'm working on a vintage car that had (when I disassembled it many years ago) an adaptor to mate a vacuum hard line to the intake manifold. After searching too long, I'm going to declare the adaptor lost and try to make a replacement. The hard line is 3/8" steel, double flared and fitted with a copper-tubing-style compression ferrule. The flare nut is 9/16-24. The intake manifold is tapped 1/8-27 NPTF.

I know how to make the 1/8-27 male end of the adaptor, and also the female 9/16-24 thread. I'm less clear on how to make the angled seat for the ferrule. I believe the included angle between the tapered faces is 140 degrees. That's pretty close to the standard drill point of 135 degrees. I see two ways to go about it: 1) re-grind a drill to the desired angle and reduce the rake of the leading edge so it will leave a smooth surface, or 2) make a D-bit with the desired angle.

Any suggestions?
    http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/publ...t/pll_1015.pdf

Page 48 of 168, Catalog Number 68x6x2

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
    http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/publ...t/pll_1015.pdf

Page 48 of 168, Catalog Number 68x6x2
    Well, in re-reading the OP and looking at your link, I believe you are correct and that I was visualizing something completely different. I originally thought he was describing what was going on at both ends

Steve

Arcane, That's the ticket! Thank you. JA

As it is a vacuum line and not high pressure, a little Loctite pipe seal will work fine if you cannot reproduce the exact angle in the fitting.