Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shars 10 inch 4 jaw D1-6 chuck

Default shars 10 inch 4 jaw D1-6 chuck

Received chuck this a.m. Very well packed. Complete with all parts.

Washed with soap and hot water. Dried in warm oven. Assembled and lubed all moving parts.

I'm pleasantly surprised with first impression. Well machined in the main. Some sharp edges/burrs. Threads on mounting studs were fairly rough.

I'll mount it soon on my newly acquired P & W 12 inch Model C and let you know if it meets it's quite loose pre-printed specs.

This chuck is far superior to a 12 inch version purchased from Grizzly about 8 years ago for a P & W 16 inch Model C. That POS was unusable and too expensive to return.

The 12 came equipped with a 2 speed 440 volt ONLY motor. I'm looking for a 5 horse 230V/3phase motor as a replacement. I need to find a 3 sheave pulley 50% larger than the present one. This set-up will yield 1500 rpm. Some what better with aluminum and carbide tooling.

I'll post some pics soon.

Larry
    Larry on Lake Superior

You might be able to find a step up transformer to turn your 240v to 480v for the current motor. Just another option.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I never heard of anyone washing a new machine tool part in hot soap and water. Especially a chuck.
    If it's factory new and internally greased, why would you do that?
    Washing the protective grease or cosmoline off the outer surface is all that should be necessary.

JL....

That does raise a good question- can you actually trust that a chuck was properly cleaned and lubed before delivery? I'd be interested to see what came out of that chuck when you washed it. Perhaps it was nothing but proper lube- but perhaps also it could have been grits and shavings.

I like to take something apart and check it out when I buy something new that should be of quality- I want to know if I got my moneys worth.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    I never heard of anyone washing a new machine tool part in hot soap and water.
    There's a very interesting video by Dan Gelbart where he explains why solvent washing is not such a good thing and detergent washing is very good. Worth looking at.

I got a import 5c chuck, and several times thought about taking it all apart just to de-burr and clean as well
    it runs true but just feels like it needs de burr

I never heard of anyone washing a new machine tool part in hot soap and water. Especially a chuck.
    Washing the protective grease or cosmoline off the outer surface is all that should be necessary.

JL....
    Chuck might be properly cleaned and greased at the factory, then again it might not have. No matter the brand, do you wanna risk being in whatever the percentage is of chucks that leave the factory with grinding swarf in the grease, or that missed the lube station? Sure, its boring spending 20 minutes doing a teardown and clean, but it beats tearing up a new tool because there was a chip in the scroll that got missed, or think that a good tool is a POS just because of sub-par grease

JL....
    Internally greased? Not much internals to a 4 jaw independent...

Maybe I'm in the wrong but I do NOT grease screws on a 4 jaw. A light film of oil grabs plenty of grit alone, but at least air will blow it out. If the lubrication is poor, well I'm sure my great-great grandchildren can come spit on my grave.

So yeah, I'd wash any grease off too.

If it was a Bison chuck, I wouldn't waste my time cleaning and lubing, good to go

I bought the same chuck about 2 years ago when it was on sale. I have been pleased with it.