Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dog bite story---O.T.

Boomer--When my kids were small, I got them a puppy of no visible breed at the pound. It was the dearest, best natured dog we ever had, and it turned out to be a pit bull. We had her for 14 years, and she gave the lie to every horrible thing we ever heard about pit bulls. She grew into the most vicious looking dog you have ever seen---it was kinda like having your own personal pet dragon. Our boys would lead her down street on her chain and people would literally jump off the sidewalks when thy seen the boys coming with the dog. She did the same levitating thing as yours did. She was a fairly short dog, and sometimes when we drove away we left her in the garage. The garage window was about six foot off the floor, but when you drove out of the yard, Coco would be looking out that window at you.
    Brian Rupnow

Quote Originally Posted by TGTool View Post
    This isn't a serious problem but it is annoying. I'm currently living in a house with a fenced in back yard. All the neighbor yards are also wood fenced about 6 - 1/2 feet so you can't see adjacent yards. I mow the back lawn as required and every time the yard opposite in back has a Doberman that runs back and forth barking up a storm. He can't get out, so far as I can see, and I've no proof he's vicious or anything, but it's just one of those annoying things. I've got hearing protection from the mower but added decibels don't really help.

So yesterday I'm mowing again and the yard behind is mercifully quiet. Just me and the already too loud mower. About half way done I realize that the damn dog is on the other side of the fence doing his run up and down and barking for all he's worth. Which means that the the dog was indoors, but when I started mowing they let it out to run over and give me he11. Is that a great neighbor to have or what? I'm casually wondering if a lawn sprinkler that maybe just goes over the fence a bit might cool him off these hot days when he's running up and down.
    Did you ever stop to think maybe you were annoying the neighbors and the dog with your mowing? So they let the dog out to annoy you back!
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    Gordon Clark called him, and said he wasn’t delivering anything unless that dog was tied.
    Hippy said he had the dog chained up, so Gordon brought out the load of lumber, but this time the lumber was strapped onto the flat-bed truck, and Gordon had to get an iron bar out of the cab to slack off the tie down winches.
    He got the first strap slackened off, and was heading up toward the front of the truck, when around the front came the Rhodesian Ridgeback.
    Gordon never even blinked. He brought that iron bar down on the dogs head and killed it right there in the driveway.—Whack!!!”
    Unprovoked act of violence.
    Gordon would have his head split open by the same bar if it was my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    Did you ever stop to think maybe you were annoying the neighbors and the dog with your mowing? So they let the dog out to annoy you back!
    Maybe the neighbors will setup a similar sprinkler for the next time you cut your grass at 6am.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie_obe View Post
    Unprovoked act of violence.
    Gordon would have his head split open by the same bar if it was my dog.
    Lets see, dog attacks me, I kill it in self defense, owner of dog attacks me----?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    Bet they won't buy me the electric mower so we can all have more peace, though.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
    Maybe their dog heard you mowing while it was inside and wouldn't shut up so they kicked it outside.
    Yeah, that's entirely likely. But it's really foisting their own problem off on others.

So, would they accept this scenario? I've got a dog who takes a dump on my front lawn. Well, I don't really want those in MY yard so I just flip them over into the neighbor's lawn. Problem solved.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Corbettprime View Post
    Lets see, dog attacks me, I kill it in self defense, owner of dog attacks me----?
    But one bite from an animal does not establish a precedent. In the second encounter the animal had done nothing.
    What if it had been another similar looking dog with no malice intended that ran up to the driver?

I do hate to hear of cases where someone kills a dog, but in this instance, there was a rather dangerous precedent, and the fact that the dog was close enough to Gordon that he could hit it with the iron bar. One might say that the dog was just protecting its territory, but the owner was at fault for not properly training his dog for protection duty, as well as properly keeping it contained as had been requested. It's (remotely) possible that the dog in the second instance had no malevolent intent, but I would assume that it was in full attack mode.

What's really sad are the many documented and filmed incidents where a harmless and friendly dog has been shot and killed by police, as well as cases where they have barged into the wrong house and the dog was properly defending its property.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie_obe View Post
    But one bite from an animal does not establish a precedent. In the second encounter the animal had done nothing.
    What if it had been another similar looking dog with no malice intended that ran up to the driver?
    I would guess you are not a dog person. Most dog people can tell friendly/curious behavior from aggressive behavior.